Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Really hot and noisy steppers

Posted by PacoBelan 
Really hot and noisy steppers
June 11, 2021 10:59AM
I finally have my printer going that I started building 6 or so years ago. It seems to print fine, but some steppers are much noisier and hotter than others. Wilson TS design, 24v, smoothieboard 1.0 X, Y and extruder are all the same nema 17 steppers, Kysan 1124090, the X and extruder are fine and rather quiet, but the Y stepper is noticeably warmer and much much louder. I have tried turning down the current on Y but I am down to 1.0 from 1.5 with no change.

the 2 Z steppers are wired in parralel, and are shoter nema 17s than the others, rated for .75 amps. They constantly have a humming/buzzing sound and are getting hot enough that the 3d printed mount they are bolted to has gotten soft and sagging.

This is the only real project I have done involving steppers and such so don't have my own experience to draw from, can any of you help me figure out what I am doing wrong or at least keep the tempurature of the Z steppers to something reasonable?

Thanks
Re: Really hot and noisy steppers
June 11, 2021 11:15AM
If the motors are hot the current is set too high.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Really hot and noisy steppers
June 11, 2021 11:26AM
Melting motor mounts is your first intro to the joy of PLA filament. I advise you too reprint any PLA parts in your printer with either ABS or PETG as soon as possible, and remember how PLA behaves at warm temperatures when you're selecting filament for future print projects. PLA will melt in a hot car, too. So unless you can guarantee your prints will never be left in a hot car, don't use PLA.

In general, PLA is not for anything you want to last. It's best for throw-away toys, molds for silicone (not epoxy), lost plastic casting, etc., where the PLA will not be part of the final product.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login