Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r is cool so far

Posted by spad007 
Slic3r is cool so far
December 02, 2011 12:19AM
i did get some printing done before breaking my hot end it printed what the code told it to.
i have only about ten or twelve prints done but my best thing is a new small gear it meshes with my old gear on my Wades
much better than what came with it i have not tried any other slice ing program and won't till
some thing goes wrong .
so a newbe can use it Thank you keep up the good work.
fma
Re: Slic3r is cool so far
December 02, 2011 01:16AM
I also makes a few tests, and it works great, especially on little details. The only issue I got is on bridges: they totaly failed. I will make some more tests with different speeds to see how it goes.

Frédéric
December 02, 2011 02:38AM
I have Skeinforge totally figured out and I love it. I have been using Slic3r more lately mainly because of how fast it slices and how simple it is to use. It does totally fail at bridges as compared to Skeinforge though.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
fma
December 02, 2011 06:21AM
And I don't understand why bridges don't work. How skeinforge manage them?

As I'm using EMC to drive my reprap, I'm able to reduce or increase the feed-rate (all motors speed, including the extruder one) during a print. I tried slower and higher speeds during the bridges, but nothing worked. I had to breathe to cold down the extruded filament, so it stopped to brake. But then, the object warped winking smiley

Frédéric
December 03, 2011 12:39PM
this i found just now

[github.com]
December 05, 2011 05:13PM
Hello, I'm the author.

Slic3r is under active development. Current version is 0.5.5b. Huge improvements since previous versions. I'm all ears for feedback.
fma
December 05, 2011 05:54PM
Thanks! I will try it soon. I just printed 3 or 4 objetcs¹, tonight, and got pretty good results. There are a few minor issues, but they may have gone with the new release. I will check that.

Again, congratulation for your software!

I will also try to propose some (simple) improvements, as soon as I have free time.

Best,

¹ I printed toys! Reprap is the modern version of Sant Claus's elves winking smiley

Frédéric
December 07, 2011 12:41PM
Sounds interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2012 09:38AM by B9Creations.
December 08, 2011 03:16AM
I was using SFact then saw a post about Slic3r and have now switched to using it all the time.

Alessandro has done a great job so far and I am impressed with the speed that new improved versions are released, bugs are fixed and questions are answered.

If you are a newbie I would highly recommend using Slic3r, very easy to setup and creates great looking prints.

Geoff
fma
December 08, 2011 03:44AM
I agree! Yesterday night, I printed the front part of the TIE fighter from Thingiverse, and it printed much better than the rear part.

But I still have some little issues on some closed peremeters, which don't close well... I occurs when the head goes to another point at full speed, after retractation. A little part of the perimeter is missing.

I also printed a part with a bridge, and it worked fine (in fact, I printed it with the old version, so my problem was mainly a speed problem). I will try to print a part with some horizontal holes (round and square)...

Frédéric
December 08, 2011 04:24AM
Hello Frédéric,

the little gaps on perimeters are caused by Slic3r clipping the loops to avoid the nozzle to get over the starting point twice. This is, well, a feature. However on some prints I'm seeing that the gaps are way larger than what's needed, so I have to investigate whether it's an implementation bug or whether I should reduce the gap and actually prefer some overlap. That's something I plan to do in the near future.

Thank you for pointing out!
fma
December 08, 2011 04:45AM
I think it mainly depends where and how fast the head moves after the end of the loop. In my case, the head was turning back at full speed to go to another place. So the filament didn't have time to stick well. I think it is not easy to manage, has you can make blobs if you go too far!

A solution could be to start moving in the same direction on a few mm, at extrusion speed (with the extruder off), to extend the filament toward the end of the loop, and then start the next move. Only in case the next move is far, and at full speed.

Frédéric
fma
December 08, 2011 09:30AM
I will also try the 'lift Z' param, to see if it reduces the problem...

Frédéric
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login