Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

'Cool' feature

Posted by fma 
fma
'Cool' feature
December 08, 2011 04:03AM
I guess that the cool option is on the todo list. From my point of view, it is a not too hard feature to code, but really usefull one.

Skeinforge has 2 ways to cool the layer: either by extruding at normal speed and then orbiting to wait the given minimum time for the layers, or by slowing down the speed rate. There is also a param to switch on/off the fan. Even if I think it as a very good idea, I didn't try it yet (I don't have a controlled fan).

A mix of all these features could be nice. There are 2 problems with small layers:

- running at normal speed on small perimeters often make garbage, even if the layer has time to cool down (orbit mode). The new param of Slic3R is great for that purpose!

- even with small speed on small perimeters, it is good to let the layer to cool down. Orbit mode is a good way, and turning fan on too.

I don't have really clear ideas about the way the orbit and fan should be managed. Should the fan be switch on during the extruding of small perimeters, on only during orbit? I think that the second way is better, has the first could prevent the layer to stick correclty on the previous one (this is the case when extruding at very high speed: the part is very fragile).

But then, how long should it be turned on? I think we need a parameter for the minimum layer time. If this delay is not reached, then the orbit mode should start. Here, without fan, the orbit should wait the end of the layer time value. If the fan mode is active, we could wait less time. So, another param is maybe usefull. Or it can be computed automatically (if the number of params grows too fast, Slic3r will soon mimic Skeinforge winking smiley)

In orbit mode, be sure to orbit over all perimeters, if serveral where extruded on the last layer; Skeinforge sometime orbit only on the last island...

In any case, I plan to make a fan with a small duct, to blow only very close to the hot end, to avoid warping.

Ok, these are just suggestion to start the discussion. I'm sure you have better ideas!

Frédéric
Re: 'Cool' feature
December 08, 2011 04:25AM
I'm not an expert there, so I encourage feedback and suggestions from people who already use cooling features!
December 08, 2011 10:49AM
Ugh, no way. Cool is a terrible plugin, at least the way it's currently implemented in Skeinforge. If you want an example of Cool failing dramatically at what it's supposed to do well, here's a good one: [www.thingiverse.com]

That was with slowdown mode, not orbit mode. Orbit mode has a huge disadvantage of its own: gravity keeps pulling the filament out of the nozzle so it leads to blobs and strings. I used Cool in Skeinforge for a while before I realized that in any place you'd use it, an actual fan is ten times better. IMHO this is a problem that should be solved with hardware (a fan) and not with software.
December 08, 2011 11:51AM
I implement "cool" in my own host software. It simply says "will the layer take less than 20s" if so scale all the feed rates down so that it takes 20s. Works fine for me.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 08, 2011 12:01PM
@ pointedstick

The issue you are having is because of the high temperatures you have to run to print quickly. If the plugin slowed it down and lowered the temperature it would be fine. SF does this but you need to be using the temperature plugin as well which most people do not use.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
fma
December 08, 2011 06:08PM
I don't see any temperature related to the smal layers, in skeinforge... What param are your refering? Does the filament stick well if you lower the temperature?

Frédéric
December 08, 2011 06:19PM
In skeinforge under cool you will see "Maximum cool (Celsius)" . It only works if the temperature plug-in is enabled and the temperature plug-in will only work if the raft plug-in is enabled.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
fma
December 09, 2011 01:44AM
Ok, I see!

I will give it a try to see if it gives good results.

Thanks for the tip.

Frédéric
December 09, 2011 12:04PM
Sublime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @ pointedstick
>
> The issue you are having is because of the high
> temperatures you have to run to print quickly. If
> the plugin slowed it down and lowered the
> temperature it would be fine. SF does this but you
> need to be using the temperature plugin as well
> which most people do not use.

I'm not really printing that hot; between 180 and 185 depending on the speed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login