Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Minimum Travel after retraction

Posted by fredlatesta 
Minimum Travel after retraction
January 04, 2012 07:57PM
HI,

I have a newb question. I just downloaded Slic3r and I would like to know what "Minimum Travel after retraction (mm)" means.

I see the Default is 1mm.

Should I read this to mean: The tool head needs to move a minimum of 1mm after its sucked back some filament? ( If so why would it need a minimum)

I just can't seem to wrap my head around this. The rest is straight forward. Lastly a thank you to Alessandro for creating this.

Regards
fma
Re: Minimum Travel after retraction
January 05, 2012 01:31AM
I think that Slic3r does not retract filament if the travel is less than this param...

Frédéric
January 05, 2012 12:36PM
That is correct, for moves shorter than "Minimum Travel after retraction (mm)", it does not retract.

When I print fast (150mm/s+) on large parts where the surface quality isn't imperative, I usually set it to 10mm and with 300mm/s travel time it doesn't drool much at all.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
fma
January 05, 2012 05:54PM
300mm/s!!!! Very impressive !!!

Frédéric
January 05, 2012 08:10PM
Thanks, it don't think it reaches 300mm/s often though (if at all?), due to acceleration. But it's pretty fast, and so far the only problem I've had is a slightly higher probability for it to knock parts off. For smaller parts I usually have travel at 200mm/s.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login