Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SOLVED - blob at all starts

Posted by camblonie 
SOLVED - blob at all starts
February 18, 2012 04:07PM
Basic question here. I am trying to move to Slic3r from skeinforge. The issue is that on every start (and after every travel) there is a lot of material from the nozzle making a spot that is @4 times the normal line width. It cant be caused by temp because it happens even after quick moves. I added time to retraction but that wasnt it. Extra length on restart is 0. I dont see a parameter that would help. Any ideas?
PS how do you change the dwell time for waiting on temp at the start? 10 seconds is overkill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 04:51PM by camblonie.

Camblonie
Repstrap -> Prusa
RAMPS 1.3, Merlin
3mm J-Head Nozzle
Re: blob at all starts
February 18, 2012 10:24PM
Camblonie,

I had the same problem... drove me nuts for a while. I did something and it went away. I am pretty sure that when I went from 2 shells to 1, it disappeared, but have not run a test to confirm. Of course, I'd like to have more than one perimeter, so if you figure out that it ISN'T a perimeter greater than one, post your solution!

Good luck.

David

David

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MakeMendel Orca v0.3, Gen6 with 5D, Slic3r. Usually 1.75mm with a modified V9 hot end and extruder.
February 19, 2012 10:37AM
Nope, I like to run with only 1 perimeter anyway and it didnt fix it. Thanks for the suggestion though.
February 19, 2012 10:59AM
Hmmmm.... I wonder what I did then. I will try to go back and reconstruct my sequence of changes.

David

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MakeMendel Orca v0.3, Gen6 with 5D, Slic3r. Usually 1.75mm with a modified V9 hot end and extruder.
February 19, 2012 11:31AM
Ok... I reran a bunch of different test objects and reconstructed what caused my blobbing. I found the same thing you did: it's not the number of shells.

However, when I set the perimeter speed too high, I get the blobbing again. This is under the "Printer and Filament" tab, "Print Speed" section, first entry. When I have 80mm/s in there, I get a blob on every perimeter line segment. When I lower it to 30, they go away. You have a different setup from mine, so no doubt your numbers will vary.

I did not experiment with different speeds... I will put that on my list of things to do.

Hope this helps!

David

February 19, 2012 01:12PM
Are you really using FiveD firmware? Install something modern, like Sprinter or Marlin smiling smiley
February 19, 2012 02:04PM
@Sound... do you believe that is the origin of my blobbing problem... FiveD? If so, I wonder whether camblonie has a different reason for his blobbing, since he is using Marlin...(?)

David

February 19, 2012 02:09PM
dropped from 40 to 30 perimeter speed but doesnt look like it helped.
Attachments:
open | download - blobs.JPG (132.7 KB)
February 19, 2012 02:11PM
And your blobs look different from mine too. Must be a different problem. Sorry I could not help.

David

February 19, 2012 02:37PM
i had the same issue as you, happen after switching to Marlin. Got it under control by tweaking retraction. For me, i had to reduce retraction length to 1mm and retraction speed to 17.
February 19, 2012 04:09PM
@Cosmic1953, FiveD is 2 years old. Your problems can be caused by multiple things. Even a bad hobbed bolt can cause your problems (and I suggest to check yours), but you should actually fix everything is wrong with your setup to get the best results. Upgrading to a modern firmware is one of these things. smiling smiley
February 19, 2012 04:16PM
@Sound... will give Marlin a try again. The last time I tried it, I could not get it to compile, so I put it on the back-burner. Thanks.

David

February 19, 2012 04:51PM
Solved - retract speed. 30mm/sec must have been too much for my homemade hobbed bolt. Seems obvious now...funny how that happens.
Thanks guys!

Camblonie
Repstrap -> Prusa
RAMPS 1.3, Merlin
3mm J-Head Nozzle
October 29, 2012 12:28AM
Solved my blobbing problem to, went from 30mm/s to 20mm/s on the retraction speed. Looking MUCH better smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login