Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just a thought after using slic3r a bit.

Posted by ocularb0b 
Just a thought after using slic3r a bit.
February 25, 2012 02:41PM
I'm liking slic3r a lot. The speed improvement over SF is amazing, seemed like something must have gone wrong smiling smiley

One thing i find myself doing quite often and should be fairly easy to add to slic3r, is changing speeds partway through the print.
I've been doing this just by merging gcode generated for 2 different speeds. This helps on things with long peninsulas in the lower layers, so you can go real slow to get them some strength before beating them up at higher speeds.
Just a thought, keep up the good work this is great stuff.
Re: Just a thought after using slic3r a bit.
February 25, 2012 03:25PM
If you are using a firmware with Real time control (like Marlin) you can just send an M220 Snn to change the speed mid build. I am slicing all my models right now at 80mm/s perimeter etc. etc. and when I see a small area of the model coming up I just send M220 S50 to slow it down to 40mm/s perimeter etc. etc. and then M220 S100 when I want it to go fast again.

(the S number is the percentage of the speed requested.)

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
February 25, 2012 03:39PM
Thats excellent, been doing this with temps for a while. i just figured it would get quickly overridden by the gcode.
I always turn temp off in SF and manage it from pronterface.
Thanks
February 27, 2012 08:11AM
M220 is very, very useful. If you don't want to babysit the printer you can also edit the gcode manually and add M220 at the layer you want it to slow down.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login