Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r 0.7.1 Feedback

Posted by TheRuttmeister 
Slic3r 0.7.1 Feedback
March 12, 2012 06:44PM
Firstly, yay!

0.7.1 seems quite a bit faster with the files I have been fighting with.

However, using the config file I posted before and slicing the ring.stl here: [www.thingiverse.com]

I get the thin sections completely filled.

Is this a bug?
Re: Slic3r 0.7.1 Feedback
March 13, 2012 09:25AM
First off, awesome work!

Second, I'm having a slight error in 0.7.1 that wasn't there in 0.7.0. On the first layer of one of my prints that has a lot of start and stops, it's missing the retraction in a few places. This isn't a huge deal, but it does cause the print to have a few ugly blobs wherever the subsequent restart are. Thanks!

(I've also tried 0.7.2-dev and I still get the same issue).
March 13, 2012 04:33PM
Hmmmm... seems that the issue I'm having is somehow related to nozzle size. Switching to a 0.35 nozzle gets me the infill I was expecting.

A second issue I'm having is that with concentric shapes (that ring.stl I linked to is a great example) I find that the perimeter order changes. So a central area has the correct order, and the ring around it has its outer perimeter in the correct order. But the inner perimeter of the outer ring is the wrong order. So the outer path gets printed before the inner path, the opposite to the normal order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 05:15PM by TheRuttmeister.
March 14, 2012 04:10PM
TheRuttmeister Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A second issue I'm having is that with concentric
> shapes (that ring.stl I linked to is a great
> example) I find that the perimeter order changes.
> So a central area has the correct order, and the
> ring around it has its outer perimeter in the
> correct order. But the inner perimeter of the
> outer ring is the wrong order. So the outer path
> gets printed before the inner path, the opposite
> to the normal order.

Do you mean that for the perimeters around holes in the object, the path furthest away from the infill gets printed first? If so, I was also having this problem in 0.7.0. It's a bit problematic if you have hole with an overhang in the model, since the first path may end up being airdropped to the bottom of the hole...
March 14, 2012 05:45PM
ttsalo Wrote:
> Do you mean that for the perimeters around holes
> in the object, the path furthest away from the
> infill gets printed first? If so, I was also
> having this problem in 0.7.0. It's a bit
> problematic if you have hole with an overhang in
> the model, since the first path may end up being
> airdropped to the bottom of the hole...

Yes. And that's a better description than I managed!
March 14, 2012 11:26PM
I also noticed using a fill density of 0 on a small object or smaller size areas result in a completely filled area.
And support still doesn't do anything sad smiley
March 15, 2012 01:11PM
I have noticed that 0.7.1 now adds inline comments to some of the temperature gcodes. This is usually not an issue for most people with the exception of SDcard users (with marlin fw in my case). Any line with a semicolon is thrown out and not executed by the firmware. After slicing a file, I have to open the file and remove all the comments. Could the comments be moved to their own line before the gcode they are commenting, or removed altogether?
March 15, 2012 06:45PM
You can use a post processing script to remove the comments at the end of slicing.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
March 16, 2012 12:40AM
Is there one available or do I have to code one? TIA
March 16, 2012 06:49AM
I don't think there is one already, but it's a real simple task to only remove end of line comments from gcode.

If you are on linux or some unix it would be very simple to code one, all the tools are already there.

On windows you have to first decide which scripting langage to use and install it. I'd recommend perl, it is designed to process text file, but anything you know best and which can do regexp will be good.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
March 16, 2012 02:07PM
Just use SED on linux
April 11, 2012 08:23AM
Thanks for a good slicer! When to expect an updated version? and that there would be interesting?

robozone.su
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login