Slic3r + Overhangs - any tips?
March 22, 2012 08:52AM
Hi
Am having good results with slic3r through repetier but my biggest remaining problem is overhangs: they always warp and curl up.

Bed adhesion is not the problem as these are overhangs.

I am using PLA @ 185oC, heated bed, and slic3r's cooling options to cool small layers.

Anyone doing overhangs with PLA and slic3r - can you recommend any options to change or calibration issues to check?

TIA
Re: Slic3r + Overhangs - any tips?
March 22, 2012 01:29PM
March 22, 2012 02:49PM
Thanks Sublime.
I do have a fan and am trying to see whether it is best to have the fan blowing generally over the bed, or rather to have one pointed to where the nozzle meets the bed, fixed to the x carriage. So far I've had mixed results with both, including delamination due to over-cooling. Trial and error is time consuming so any tips on this are very welcome!

Regarding speed, any suggestions for what is appropriate for preventing warping of overhangs? Maybe 30mm/s or is that still too fast?
March 22, 2012 05:19PM
To print them without a fan by slowing down you need to be 15-20mm/s and have the hotend just the right temperature. Basically just hot enough to extrude and have it stick to the layer below. When using a fan you want it to blow just below the tip of the hotend and on the last few layers of the model. Its best to have a fan duct of some sort so you can cool it from all sides and not cool the hotend or bed.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login