Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Generating 100's of layers when there should only be a few - Solution ??

Posted by Chris_NZL 
Generating 100's of layers when there should only be a few - Solution ??
May 20, 2012 10:50PM
The solution is not to use the Lift Z (mm) under the retraction as it appears that the lift causes a new layer to be started, but looking at the gcode generated (when using lift) you can clearly see when the z axis is going up and down and when it changes layer the Z axis goes to the right height. So, the pattern is related to the use of Z lift perhaps. The fact that Repetier-Host reports and displays many layers may in fact be a problem with that application and nothing to do with Slic3r. I'm not able to test this out for a few days but when I return I will check this out. If someone has come across this problem perhaps they could comment.

Hi, I am using the latest release of Slic3r, Repeiter host and Sprinter Firmware. When slicing I generate many 100's of layers when there should be less than 100. Some layers are blank, some have part of a layer with the next part (or parts) on a separate layer with some layers having just a dot. There is no paraticular patern. All the stl files have been run through netfab. I have downloaded some stl files and have the same problem. Some files work fine, again I don't see any pattern. The attached file is an object 30mm high, at 0.25mm layer height I'd expect to get 120 layers - instead I get 833 layers. I am using Repetier host version 0.5 to view the gcode which gives me the figure of 833. The gcode file is 1,322 KB. The files with masses of layers seem to prink OK, except that the cooling settings seem to be ignored.

A second problem is that at the start of each extrusion run there is always an extra amount of extrusion taking place, yet I have 0 extra length on restart set.

I have been trying to figure this out for a few weeks now, by trial and error but with out success.

Any susgestions appreciated.

Regards
Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 08:32PM by Chris_NZL.
Attachments:
open | download - Test_1.stl (159.7 KB)
Re: Generating 100's of layers when there should only be a few - Solution ??
June 06, 2012 09:58AM
try viewing the gcode with gcodeview which detects and intelligently handles code with z-lift. Other viewers misinterpret z-lift as layer change and give exactly the output you describe.

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
Re: Generating 100's of layers when there should only be a few - Solution ??
June 08, 2012 06:50AM
Triffid_Hunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> try viewing the gcode with gcodeview which detects
> and intelligently handles code with z-lift. Other
> viewers misinterpret z-lift as layer change and
> give exactly the output you describe.

A plug for your own work, fair enough, but I use windows
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login