Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lift Z ignored during layer change

Posted by notloc 
Lift Z ignored during layer change
May 23, 2012 02:17AM
I imagine this may not be the right place for a feature request, but here it is:

Slic3r seems to ignore the Lift Z dimention durring layer changes. I love Lift Z so I never have to hear the print head dragging accross surface imperfections (and my prints never loose steps anymore) but it still happens sometimes on layer changes.

I think it would be great if slic3r did use the Lift Z dimention for layer changes. It's a minor thing in what has instantly become my favorite tool path generator, and has increased my print quality drammatically, while being easier to use. In other words, thanks for all you do, I love slic3r!!
Re: Lift Z ignored during layer change
May 24, 2012 07:56PM
When you use Z lift, does it increase the number of layers in the resulting gcode as per my other post? or is that what you are saying and I just missed your point? I certainly agree with your other comments regarding Slic3r
June 03, 2012 01:00AM
To clarify what I mean:

Normally, while working on the same layer, Z Lift will (for example) lift the Z axis 0.5mm above the part before moving, then drop back down by the same amount to continue work. I like this mostly because it's quieter, and means that I am less likely to loose steps on the X or Y axis from dragging across surface imperfections.

But then when it's time for a new layer, the head lifts 0.15mm (my layer hight, and much less than my Z Lift is set to) before moving to the start point of the new layer.

What should happen, IMHO, is that on a layer change, the head should lift 0.5, move to the new location, then drop back down 0.35 (0.5 - 0.15) before beginning the next layer.

I haven't read your post, but it sounds like we are describing different issues (mine is really quite minor I think.) I notice that a new version just came out, I'll have to see if this version still does it.
June 05, 2012 12:56PM
@notloc, you're right. It should take Z lift into account then changing layer.
June 15, 2012 11:06PM
Change log for 8.3 says this is fixed! Thanks guys! Slic3r was great five versions ago and it's way better now than it was then! Amazing!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login