Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r 0.8.2 Perimeter setting

Posted by bmsweb 
Slic3r 0.8.2 Perimeter setting
May 31, 2012 09:51PM
Just tried my first print with Slic3r 0.8.2 and I noticed my printer was doing 2 perimeters yet in the settings I had it set to 1. Any idea why it would do this?

Loving this version big times . . so many new features to play with grinning smiley
Re: Slic3r 0.8.2 Perimeter setting
May 31, 2012 10:25PM
According to the release notes the perimeter setting now just sets the minimum number of perimeters.
May 31, 2012 10:26PM
From slic3r.org

automatic detection of additional required perimeters for avoiding gaps in domed/sloping objects (the perimeters settings means now minimum perimeters as Slic3r could add more when needed)

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 31, 2012 10:36PM
Thanks for the info, I'll do some further test and see how it goes.

It would be really good if you could force 1 perimeter, because I know this particular part does print out fine with 1 perimeter.
June 01, 2012 04:51AM
I was ignoring that issue for now, but it's good to know it's trying to help and not just a bug.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
June 01, 2012 08:22AM
I noticed it too when printing a wades large gear. I used to find that 1 perimeter was better for these but now it adds an extra perimeter.

I could be imagining it (haven't done full testing to compare the versions) but it seems to me that even though the new slic3r increases perimeters to 2, the wades large gear seems to come out better than it used to and so I can concur that so far it seems like slic3r is "helping" by adding the extra perimeter. No complaints so far.

I am wondering if the GUI should change to say "minimum perimeters" to reflect the change in functionality. I put this suggestion on the github
[github.com]
June 01, 2012 08:39AM
I'm still jumping between 7.0 7.2b and now this one smiling smiley

I would still like to force 1 perimeter. I can't wait to try parts with bridges as I tend to do a fair few of these.
June 04, 2012 01:22AM
Just started playing with the new version myself. Would also like to put in a vote for the option to disable the auto-add-perimeters feature, or a max perimeters setting.
June 04, 2012 04:55AM
just went back to 0.72b for that reason. some things (gears for example) just don't slice very well with that new feature.
voting for choice too
June 04, 2012 10:35PM
I just wanted to quick touch basis on this thread that I started. I've since done many different parts and I must say in most of them the current configuration of automatic detection of perimeter required is working really well and producing far better results. Its only on the odd part.

Seriously nice work with this automatic detection . . I love the way in some instance it will automatically vary between 1 and 2 perimeters on the one part!
June 05, 2012 12:55PM
It looks many people would like to force the number of perimeters. I'll add an advanced option for that.
June 17, 2012 09:06PM
I've just downloaded 0.8.3 and I was wondering if force number of perimeters has been implemented. I've been looking for it but can't find it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login