Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r 0.8.2 and support material

Posted by Chris_NZL 
Slic3r 0.8.2 and support material
June 02, 2012 12:23AM
I do not seem to be able to generate any support material. I have tried a couple of different nozzle sizes. Has anyone else had any problems? Just trying to figure out what I have done wrong, or what I need to do differently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2012 12:25AM by Chris_NZL.
Re: Slic3r 0.8.2 and support material
June 04, 2012 09:00PM
It does generate support - BUT - it's got a ways to go....

I've found that it either doesn't kick in until the angle is way past 45 degs - i.e I sliced an inverted 1/2 cylinder and it only put support under the very center,

or too early and too much,
another part - bit like a turtle-shell, it put so much honeycomb support that it was impossible to clean it out without destroying the part.

I love Slic3r, and it will be great when it has some more control available over support parameters, like an option to use using simple walls instead of a crosshatch pattern, and control over spacing,
but for that job I had to resort to skeinforge.
June 05, 2012 07:26AM
I tried a print with support, but it failed since Slic3r tried to create a needle made from single dots to support a printed head (chin area). Needless to say, this did not work. Slic3r is a great piece of software, but support structures still need work.
June 05, 2012 07:57AM
nb99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It does generate support - BUT - it's got a ways
> to go....
A file sliced with version 0.7.2b generated support but that same file sliced with 0.8.2 didnot generate any support material
>
> I've found that it either doesn't kick in until
> the angle is way past 45 degs - i.e I sliced an
> inverted 1/2 cylinder and it only put support
> under the very center,
From my experience version 0.7.2b did it like this which worked out OK as it's generally only the center that has any problem
>
> or too early and too much,
> another part - bit like a turtle-shell, it put
> so much honeycomb support that it was impossible
> to clean it out without destroying the part.
>
I found this problem in an earlier version or though it was a square void so it wasn't to hard to remove the support with a dremmel and drill press
> I love Slic3r, and it will be great when it has
> some more control available over support
> parameters, like an option to use using simple
> walls instead of a crosshatch pattern, and control
> over spacing,
> but for that job I had to resort to skeinforge.

Version 0.7.2b was certainly an improvement over previous versions (I think only one previous version had support for support material) but this new version seems to have been a step backwards in terms of support material - i.e. I haven't been able to generate any support using models that, when sliced with previous versions did generate support material, which is why I posed my original question.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login