Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

slic3r and skeinforge

Posted by rapdi 
slic3r and skeinforge
March 06, 2013 01:49PM
I have a rapman 3.1 and it seems that slic3r do not work with it but skeinforge does. It refuses the slic3r gcode.

There are diferences in gcode:

Skeinforge uses the code M108 to define extruder speed for each step of the print.
Slic3r seems not to use this way of defining extruder speed, how does it do it? I did not find a way to change the exruder-speed/head-movement-speed relation in order to use different flows in each printing part (ex. perimeter, infil, etc.), it seems that it does that in speed options, I assume that changing speed does not affect the extruder flow rate.

Skeinforge uses G1 code to define x y and z coordinates for each step of the build and the coordinates have the center of the print bed as x 0 y 0, so it uses negative values as well.
Slic3r uses the left back corner as x 0 y 0 coordinates.

Is it possible to generate with slic3r gcode similar to what skeinforge does for use with my printer?

Do printers in general accept both types of code?
Re: slic3r and skeinforge
March 06, 2013 02:04PM
I work with both slic3r and skeinforge all the time. Slic3r is usually the first slicer I go to, but if there is something wrong with the gcode, I move to skeinforge. Both are set up for a 200x200 build area with 0,0 at the center. I have no issues with switching back and forth.

By default, skeinforge uses the front left as the 0,0 point, but you can use the multiply plugin to change that.

Slic3r allows you to specify the center point also, and if I remember correctly, it was pre-defined to be at 100, 100. I have never seen it use the back left corner as 0,0. Are you sure you have your Y axis moving in the right direction?
March 06, 2013 02:18PM
My error, sorry. It seems to be working now.

I had a character in the file name that the machine did not accept.

I must try all options before posting.

EDIT:

Are you sure you have your Y axis moving in the right direction?

yes It moved the the print head from right front starting position to the right very slowly. There is something wrong with the settings. Ill review that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 02:35PM by rapdi.
March 06, 2013 04:31PM
It seems that rapman printer does not support slic3r gcode.

everything seems fine but the print head goes to the right at slow speed until it can go.

It seems that the printer does not support E values in G1.

Do you have a BitsFromBytes rapman printer as well?
March 07, 2013 12:38AM
E values in G1 are for extruding plastic. If your printer does not accept E values, it will never print anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login