Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to I rotate an object in the X plane

Posted by geoffd 
How to I rotate an object in the X plane
May 27, 2013 04:14PM
I have just started learning Inventor and I have run into a problem.

In inventor, and in Meshlab, the object is orientated with the top as I expect it.

When I add it to the platter in Slic3r the object is rotated, to the object is on it's side, and I cannot find a command to rotate it and have the bottom on the bottom, not on it's side. I can find a command to rotate it about a vertical axis, but not the horizontal one.

Any ideas?

Geoff

How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else. - R. Buckminster Fuller

[apapageek.com]
Re: How to I rotate an object in the X plane
May 27, 2013 07:08PM
Slic3r only allows rotation on the z=0 plane. To rotate on other planes, do it in inventor or meshlab. I know you think they are correct in those programs, but you need to rotate to the orientation slic3r is expecting.
May 28, 2013 12:14AM
I strongly prefer to use Slic3r as being called from Repetier Host. You can move and rotate models, copy them, etc - then slice them, then see the g-code preview.

[www.matter-replicator.com]
May 28, 2013 05:51AM
You can do it easy enough in Netfabb.
May 29, 2013 12:15AM
you can also import the .STL into OpenScad and rotate and export as .STL again.

Thomas
(proud to use OpenScad :-)

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
June 02, 2013 02:05PM
geoffd
I use inventor for my 3D modeling. A lot depends on how you created the ipt part file. For the part to be correct you have to have the base sketch ( which will be the first layer of your print model) on the origin XY plane and extrude upwards in the positive Z plane.
If you havent done this then the exported STL will be wrongly orientated for printing

The solution i use is to open a new assembly file and import the part. The first part imported into an assembly file is grounded so first you have to unground it. Then use constraints to constrain the face you want as the base of your model ( the first layer) to the ORIGIN XY plane.
Now you can export the model as an STL and it should be correctly orientated on your print bed.

Which version of Inventor are you using ? Doesnt really make any difference for the solution above but i use 2010 Pro
Post the part file and ill take a look

Good luck

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2013 02:09PM by bigfilsing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login