Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

0.8.3 first layer issues

Posted by Chowderhead 
0.8.3 first layer issues
June 16, 2012 08:45PM
Perhaps living up to my handle, but...

I cannot get 0.8.3 to print a good first layer. The default extrusion rate is way too slow so there's no squish and therefore no adhesion to the build surface. Tried overriding it in the advanced tab by setting First layer extrusion width to 100% - which sped up the first layer to 100% print speed and made the issue worse. Then tried 0.7mm in the same textbox and got the same result. Back to 0.7.2b unless someone can enlighten me...
Re: 0.8.3 first layer issues
June 17, 2012 05:56AM
I unfortunately can't enlighten you, but I installed 0.8.3 last evening (windows version) and it's just working fine on my computer printing on an orca mendel 0.4.2. Not compareable to the 0.8.2 version which made no fun using (shifted layers, gaps in the print,...). They made some changes in the wording for the bottom (now called first) layer, so you could take a look to your config again. Probably only a small thing set wrong ?!
June 17, 2012 02:56PM
Chowderhead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps living up to my handle, but...
>
> I cannot get 0.8.3 to print a good first layer.
> The default extrusion rate is way too slow so
> there's no squish and therefore no adhesion to the
> build surface. Tried overriding it in the advanced
> tab by setting First layer extrusion width to 100%
> - which sped up the first layer to 100% print
> speed and made the issue worse.

Why would the extrusion width modifier make the print speed increase? Did you actually increase the first layer speed not the width.

There is a bug in the first layer speed setting where if it is set to a speed in mm/s it outputs mm/m in the gcode which makes the first layer really slow.

Then tried 0.7mm
> in the same textbox and got the same result. Back
> to 0.7.2b unless someone can enlighten me...

I would stay with 0.7.2 anyway as there are some other bugs in 0.8.3 that have been fixed in the git version and should be released in the binary soon (I hope).

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 17, 2012 08:46PM
I don't know why it increased speed, but it did. It was the only variable I changed between print attempts. Something requiring clear instruction is whether units are included when entering values or if the software interprets whole number values as percentages and decimal values as mm. The documentation isn't keeping up with the (too frequent) updates...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login