Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

slic3r is not geometrically correct

Posted by jf pion 
slic3r is not geometrically correct
June 18, 2012 02:53PM
When i try to print the joined stl , instead of i got

is there a way to have slic3r not deforming my parts ?

there is no use to have a software making angulous part instead of nicely rounded one (the aerodynamic of the printed part is not really good either
Attachments:
open | download - nervure test3.stl (295.6 KB)
Re: slic3r is not geometrically correct
June 18, 2012 03:06PM
Which version of Slic3r are you using?

Have you tried newer / older versions to confirm it happens with all versions of Slic3r?

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 18, 2012 03:20PM
Your STL is non-manifold. Maybe that is why slic3r doesn't do a good job of slicing it.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 18, 2012 04:39PM
the same results with 7.2 and 8.3 (with the non random blob more in 8.3 ;-)
June 18, 2012 04:42PM
going thru nett fab cloud

trying again as soon as the printer is available
Attachments:
open | download - nervuretest3_fixed.gcode (167.2 KB)
open | download - nervuretest3_fixed.stl (394.6 KB)
June 18, 2012 04:49PM
even with the fixed stl (no complain from slicer ) it is the same
look like it try to draw some segment instead of curve

seems like a bug
Attachments:
open | download - nervure test fixed.png (31.3 KB)
June 18, 2012 05:06PM
STL files don't support curves, only line segments.
Have you looked at the actual STL file to confirm it has more than the 2 segments in it?
Usually the software that exports STL files lets you specify an error which it uses to change the curves into lines.

What does Skeinforge do?

Assuming the STL file isn't the issue, I haven't looked at the guts of Slic3r, but it may do a relaxation step to reduce the size of the output GCode, if the epsilon he's using is too high it could cause what you're seeing.
June 18, 2012 05:10PM
I just downloaded the last one you posted and the first thing I notice is the part is 6000+mm away from center. I wonder if slic3r is doing something strange when it imports the part and tries to center it.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
June 18, 2012 05:20PM
Polygonhell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> STL files don't support curves, only line
> segments.
> Have you looked at the actual STL file to confirm
> it has more than the 2 segments in it?

i've attached it with my messages and yes there is a lot more segment, look like a smooth curve

> Usually the software that exports STL files lets
> you specify an error which it uses to change the
> curves into lines.
sketchup with plugin, not a lot of feature

>
> What does Skeinforge do?
don't know, I can't make it work on my win 7 and any way I haven't the first clue how to parameter this thing ( is in english with a lot of word with a very specific signification for the repraper and basically i'm french and i couldn't find a step by step configuration guide.

that"s why I like slicer nozzle diameter, filament size layer height and go (and it work for a lot of things !)

but here it is not a stl pb or width over height ratio pb, just a basic geometric pb

>
> Assuming the STL file isn't the issue, I haven't
> looked at the guts of Slic3r, but it may do a
> relaxation step to reduce the size of the output
> GCode, if the epsilon he's using is too high it
> could cause what you're seeing.

that's what i guess to
June 18, 2012 05:22PM
Sublime Wrote:
> I just downloaded the last one you posted and the
> first thing I notice is the part is 6000+mm away
> from center. I wonder if slic3r is doing something
> strange when it imports the part and tries to
> center it.

do you know how to center it ? haven't seen any tip about that in nett fab (pc or the cloud)
June 18, 2012 05:24PM
Moving it to the origin doesn't make any difference, it is another bug in Slic3r. Skeinforge slices it with a smooth curve.

June 18, 2012 05:36PM
FWIW skeinforge is worth the several hours it will take you to get a working setup, once it's set up, it's no more complicated than Slic3r to use and I've never seen it produce a worse results, though it is a lot slower.

I like Slic3r, I'll always use it first, I think that simple configuration is moving in the right direction.

KissSlicer is also worth a look, it's not open source, but it is free for the uses of most on here. I started looking at it over the weekend and it's easy to configure and produces damn good results, decent support and it's much faster than even Slic3r.
June 21, 2012 09:31AM
I tried to slice the whistle from thiniverse slicer 7.2

I got the extra thin wall red circled on the pic.

look like a bug didn't try 8.3 because of the same bug on my other part

seems like slcer got serious geometrical problem for the complex parts

has somebody the same opinion ?
Attachments:
open | download - whistle.png (9.7 KB)
June 21, 2012 02:52PM
jf pion Wrote:
> I tried to slice the whistle from thiniverse
> slicer 7.2
>
> I got the extra thin wall red circled on the pic.
>
> look like a bug didn't try 8.3 because of the same
> bug on my other part
>
> seems like slcer got serious geometrical problem
> for the complex parts
>
> has somebody the same opinion ?

Yes 0.7.2 does that to the end of sharp points. 0.8.3 does not do it but has other issues. I am sticking with 0.7.2 for now. The whistle will print fine using 0.7.2 but will need some cleanup where it prints the small dots.

June 21, 2012 03:02PM
it got also issue with large radius curve as shown at the start of the topic (0.7.2 and 0.8.3)

is there other known bug ? (apart the blob at the start of a layer )

just to avoid trying to print something incorrectly sliced
June 21, 2012 03:21PM
This [github.com] is Slic3r's bug tracker if you wold like to have a read through.

Off the top of my head I can not think of any other bugs that show up on a regular basis but as with all alpha/beta software you will run into them every so often and sometimes there will be lots that get released.

Skeinforge was the same way with bugs for the longest time but after 50 releases it is almost bug free. So with Slic3r being only a year old you can not expect it to be perfect just yet. Once it reaches version 1 I think we will have a slicer with all the features we want and little to no major bugs.

June 21, 2012 04:41PM
Sublime Wrote:
> This
> [github.com]
> ed&state=open is Slic3r's bug tracker if you wold
> like to have a read through.
>
> Off the top of my head I can not think of any
> other bugs that show up on a regular basis but as
> with all alpha/beta software you will run into
> them every so often and sometimes there will be
> lots that get released.
>
> Skeinforge was the same way with bugs for the
> longest time but after 50 releases it is almost
> bug free. So with Slic3r being only a year old you
> can not expect it to be perfect just yet. Once it
> reaches version 1 I think we will have a slicer
> with all the features we want and little to no
> major bugs.

I know , i've reported my bug here [github.com] but no answer for now

waiting for the next release without the blob bug to test big stl (this one for example [www.thingiverse.com]) with 7.2 =>out of memory

for now i try to use SF but I'm more and more eager to use a simpler slicer !
June 21, 2012 05:57PM
A simple slicer is only a short term gain. In the end you need fine control, which needs lots of parameters and expertise. The main things wrong with SF are a terrible user interface and bad default settings. At least you can change anything. With slic3r there are things you can't change but need to.

Also SF's help system is bizarre. I wanted to know what a new parameter was so I clicked the help button. That took me to a wiki entry that was not up to date. Then I googled the parameter and only found a couple of people asking what it was. I resorted to searching the source code. That found some HTML documentation with up to date descriptions of everything. Why that is not what you get when click the help button I have no idea.

June 21, 2012 06:22PM
the main pb with SF from my new user point of view is there is no explanation of the effect of the setting (or not easily found one. for exemple why using feed rate instead of speed ? the majority of the terms are not self explicit. and there is no explanation on the effect (for example for the bridge you can increase the speed or decrease the feed rate what's the implication why one and not the other ....... ) lot of things are non intuitive on the contrary of slicer

from my piont of vue the 2 softwares have a reason to exist, slicer for the beginner and the "standard" print which need no optimisation, and SF for the one who want more control on the slicer

may be the same soft with a different GUI
June 21, 2012 06:35PM
I agree to a point, but many of Skeinforges settings could be collapsed or removed.
Just simplifying the set of plugins would be a good start.
Once you have a decent setting how many of the values do you really change?

The fact that several of skeinforges defaults were set when the same settings had different meaning really doesn't help it any and that the semantic changes mean that older web tutorials are now incorrect makes it really hard for a new comer to get to grips with.

I guess from a hardcore printer geek standpoint, it's nice to have the control, but if you're just trying to make parts Skeinforge can be daunting and frustrating.

As an aside I think many newcomers here try to tweak software before resolving mechanical and firmware calibration issues.

A simple load and print solution is never going to exist, largely because of the variety of hardware, but perhaps a slicer that walks you through the calibration process to setup the software. have an advanced menu for people who want to spend time tweaking settings.

FWIW KISSlicer does a pretty good job of giving you most of the control you would need (although it's missing a couple of obvious settings), but some of it's terminology is confusing because it was designed to work with the Bits and Bytes printers.
June 23, 2012 12:34PM
@Sublime, can you share what is preventing you to use one of the 0.8.x releases?

@nophead, you wrote that you'd like to change some hard-coded things in Slic3r. Can you explain them?

Sometimes you guys think that the authors will notice needs and problems themselves without the need of dropping them a line and share your idea or your problems...
June 23, 2012 04:18PM
I've seen you fixed the wide curve pb great !
I would like to help trying the dev version, but how to get the precompiled version for win7 ? I'm completely lost with github

thank you
June 24, 2012 12:04AM
Sound Wrote:
> @Sublime, can you share what is preventing you to
> use one of the 0.8.x releases?

First off I am in no way complaining it is still my favourite slicer and I think you are doing an amazing job. Also I have a broken install of cpan on the machine I use most often and can't run the git version so I am stuck using the binary.

They are all things that have bug reports on Github, some looked to be fixed in the latest git head.

Not being able to turn off some of the smart features like the extra perimeters which means we can't print any single wall items. The hole size compensation is completely unneeded on some printers that do not have shrinkage issues.

Unretract even if it did not retract leaving blobs.

June 24, 2012 11:39AM
Hi,

a new version is out which fixes the oversimlification issue reported in this thread, check the news at [slic3r.org]

@Sublime, everything you mentioned was fixed/introduced in this version, so I look forward for your precious feedback -- as usual!
June 24, 2012 01:46PM
thank you a lot
June 24, 2012 04:50PM

nophead, you wrote that you'd like to change some hard-coded things in Slic3r. Can you explain them?

The rumours are that it plays around with holes sizes to attempt to make them come out the right size, but that depends on lots of things that it cannot know.

The scale factor seems to have moved to the Plater tab. If you are slicing from Pronterface how do you set the scale factor?

June 24, 2012 05:27PM
nophead Wrote:

> The scale factor seems to have moved to the Plater
> tab. If you are slicing from Pronterface how do
> you set the scale factor?

the same with the rotation to print longer part on the diagonal ? how to do that from pronterface
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login