Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r and DLP

Posted by spaceman 
Slic3r and DLP
June 20, 2012 07:05AM
Does anyone know how to make slic3r output the slices for DLP projection?
fma
Re: Slic3r and DLP
June 20, 2012 07:45AM
With the --export-svg option.

Frédéric
June 20, 2012 08:16AM
Or from the first menu - "Export SVG" I think it's called

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
June 21, 2012 09:40PM
Thanks for the info.

I'm poking around to see if I want to experiment with this tech too. Does anyone out there have a working DLP printer? What software do you use to control it? I've looked at the lemoncurry site and I've seen Junior Veloso site but it's all kind of scattered about and I'm trying to condense it.
September 11, 2012 07:14PM
I wonder how could I configure the Slic3r to be used with a DLP printer? thanks
VDX
September 12, 2012 03:53AM
... I'm trying with the "Export SVG" from file-menu - it seems to work, but my PC isn't ready yet ...

With this sequence of SVG's I'll use a program to output them in numerical order with controlling the vat and Z-axis - like 3DLP.exe from Chris Marion: [www.chrismarion.net]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 12, 2012 06:17AM
@spaceman - I didn't catch your post, so this is a late response, but you might want to have a look at my blog post on my dlp setup (which is still a work in progress I should point out). At the bottom of that post there are a few links to the works of others. I'd also recommend looking at the subsequent update posts

@timbear3 - I use Slic3r to create an SVG file. Choose "Slice to SVG" from the File menu - you'll then be prompted for the STL file, and then where to save the SVG. I then use with a modified version of Kliment's Printrun to print (which I recently updated). I preview the SVG slices using this site (in google chrome): slic3rsvgviewer

As Viktor says, Chris Marion has created a 3DLP host program which runs on windows (http://www.chrismarion.net/3dlp/software/help), which I still haven't gotten around to trying as my reprap machine is Linux. He uses a 3rd party slicer to generate a set of image files: [www.freesteel.co.uk]

If you decide to use the freesteel slicer standalone to generate a set of image files then these can be used in Printrun too - zip them into a file ending with ".3dlp.zip" and load them in printrun as you would an SVG. It took me a little while to get freesteel slicer to produce good results, here's a quick rundown of what I do. Get the min and max Z values by running slice.exe without any arguments apart from the stl filename, i.e.

$ slice.exe frame-vertex.stl
{"xlo": 0.420833, "yhi": 72.506231, "xhi": 55.075, "n_triangles": 640, "n_points": 314, "flat_area_z": [0.0, 1.0, 2.359, 6.6, 8.744, 8.775, 10.95, 12.2, 13.2], "n_edges": 1292, "zhi": 13.2, "ylo": -0.181524, "zlo": 0.0, "n_unmatched_edges": 0}

Then I use the following arguments to slice at 0.1mm:

$ slice.exe frame-vertex.stl -o frame-vertex/frame-vertex.png --cavity=black --core=white  -z -0.0,13.2,0.1 -r 0.005 -l 0.05

This produces a folder (frame-vertex) with 133 PNG images with a filename like frame-vertex_0000(z=0.000).png, frame-vertex_0000(z=0.100).png etc. I zip them up and then they can be loaded into Printrun, however now that I have sorted the scaling issue I almost always use Slic3r and SVGs.

Hope this helps - shout if I should provide any more info.

September 15, 2012 08:41PM
Hi Gary,

Right out of the gate I'm having trouble figuring out what projector can be used. I know LCD is not usable, and UV producing bulb is a must. But there are so many different styles of bulb that I can't figure out which ones produce UV. Between P-VIP, SHP, UHP...etc I can't figure out what is good or not. I THINK (guess) single chip is the type that will use the UV bulb but I'm not sure.
VDX
September 17, 2012 04:04AM
... best use a DLP-beamer with a HG-lamp - but you should remove the UV-filterplate, equipped to most HG-lamps to ptotect the plastic parts in the light path ...

I've purchased for cheap some DLP-beamers with broken lamps (one Infocus X2 received last week, a Toshiba TDP-S20 and an Acer PD110 with working lamp but broken UV-filterplate on the way, two Casio XJ-M140 planned as groupbuy in a German Laser-forum).

Here you need only to bypass the lamp testing and driving circuitry, remove the filterplate and/or the colour wheel (or only the colour windows, if it uses and tests an encoder) and replace the lamp with a 405nm-diode from a BluRay-player or another UV-light source.

I'm testing with 405nm@200mw for UV-curing or with a 445nm@1W for Structured-Light-scanning with a David-Laserscanner setup.

With a resin reacting to visible light you can use a 445nm-diodelaser too for 3D-printing ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

September 17, 2012 06:04AM
@spaceman - I know what you mean, trying to get the right projector is a bit daunting. As I wrote in the section under "Projector" in my post: I ended up finding an InFocus IN2104 on ebay. A quick google search on this model told me it was 1024x768, and has a 200W bulb. Unlike Viktor I have made no modifications to the projector at all, and it works satisfactorily for the resins supplied by spotamaterials.com

@Viktor - I think you're making it sound more complicated and intimidating than it needs to be. A projector will work without having to remove the colour wheel, and it is unnecessary to replace the bulb with another unless you are doing something special as in your case no doubt.

VDX
September 17, 2012 07:54AM
... my beamer has a broken lamp, so the perfect candidate for replacement experiments - and some companies had this idea too spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[opli.net]

Regarding removing the UV-shielding - in some UV-3D-printing forums I've read, that some users had problems with common resins to activate them with the lamp ... unless they removed the UV-filterplate ...

Viktor
--------

January 01, 2013 07:51PM
Hi All,

I am planning using freesteel for slicing my STL files for a 3D printing project to print with ceramic slurries(resin loaded with ceramic powder).
However I have am experiencing a problem with it: it seems to mirror the images on the Y-axis?!
(e.g. a bar going from bottom left to upper right comes out on the image file(s0 as upper left to bottom right)

Am I doing something wrong or??????

Rob
January 02, 2013 05:21PM
Hi Rob,

I just tested this myself and you're right - the result is flipped along the Y axis. I hadn't noticed before because the few times I used freesteel my models were symmetrical. I also use Slic3r for slicing DLP models now.

I can't see an option to "unflip" it (though I can't imagine it doing that on purpose!) so the only suggestion I have (if you still want to use it) is to load your STL into something like Meshlab and flip the mesh along the Y axis.

Cheers,
Gary

January 03, 2013 02:41AM
Hi Gary,

Thanks for yor quick reply.
Thinking about this a bit more it could be solved by changing the projection: front<->rear.
This would mean for example to adjust the projector (get a correct readable menu) you need to look at it from top into the VAT and then the projection from the other side should be OK. I'll try today (UTC+1).

best regards,
Rob
January 03, 2013 05:59PM
Hi Gary,

Haven't printed yet, but looks ok when changing the projection of the projector smiling smiley.

Rob
VDX
January 09, 2013 04:47AM
... the 'flipping' is caused mainly by the DLP-setup - either you slice/print from top or from bottom ... so best flip it over the beamer-config ...

Viktor
--------

Difficulity in using Freesteel z level slicer software
June 19, 2014 06:00PM
Hi to all,
I am trying to use freesteel software for slicing my STL files for a 3D printing project to print a .stl format file but i am having a problem to do it.
In short i am unable to create slides from this software i have installed the software from following sites..

[www.freesteel.co.uk]

whose size is 5mb but i can not run it from CMD (command mangaer). I am trying to follow the instruction in the blog and try to open the Cube10.stl file as they wrote their but eventually i can not slice this file into images that i need to produce it.

Can you please guide me how to use this software for slicing the stl file..

I will be waiting of your feedback

Regards
Zulfiqar Ali
PJ
August 10, 2015 05:25PM
Hi,

I am using Freesteel slicer and I am able to obtain the images for the 2D slices. However I have faced a problem of scaling. So, if I slice a cylinder with 20mm cross-sectional diameter and slice another cylinder with 2mm cross-sectional diameter, I find the sizes of the cross sections of these two cylinders to be exactly same for BMP images of the same resolution. I want to prevent this scaling and want the real-sized cross-sectional slices.

Can anyone please help me with this?

Thankssmiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login