Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Feature request: Configurable layer rotation angle

Posted by majic79 
Feature request: Configurable layer rotation angle
April 24, 2014 04:19AM
When printing solid layers (or using a line or linear pattern infill) it rotates the direction of print by 90 degrees each time - it'd be nice to be able to customise this. Some research has shown that rather than alternating layers, strength of the material can be improved by a small rotation of the weave on each layer:

[www.iflscience.com]

While this is more applicable to compressed weaves (eg. Carbon Fibre), it may also have an application in 3D print technology, so perhaps a worthwhile addition?
Re: Feature request: Configurable layer rotation angle
April 27, 2014 04:52AM
if its strength youre after you can try this-
1- set infill to 30% or so and rectlinear leaving significant gaps in the grid.(30% infill resulted in a grid spacing of about 2.5mm in this example)
2- set solid infill for every 4 or 5 layers (assuming about .2 layer hieght)
3- set bridge flow ratio to 2
4- check "infill before perimeters"
the "bridge" function will become active and extrude material down into the 3 previous layers. this makes the part nearly impossible to delaminate and the carbon/ABS I am using at the moment is incredibly stout using this technique. adjust 2 or 3 to keep layer height at the right height. if the nozzle is dragging increase # 2 or decrease # 3 and vise-versa. I am getting supper clean prints doing this.
I need to find out what activates "bridge". and for that I will start a new topic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2014 05:27PM by Bill Clark.
Re: Feature request: Configurable layer rotation angle
April 28, 2014 06:45AM
Interesting idea. However, how many solid layers would you make? If you do the usual 3-5 solid layers, I'm not sure that would be very useful as the total rotation would be very small.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login