Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thin perimeters don't exist

Posted by cobrageek 
Thin perimeters don't exist
August 25, 2014 01:52PM
I bought some polyflex (flexible PLA) and wanted to print one of their reference parts from Thingiverse: [www.thingiverse.com]

Slic3r seemed to do a fine job except for the really thin parts that are supposed to be the flexible connections between some of these pieces. You can clearly see the thin connection in the STL file, but when I look at the generated g-code in pronterface it's clear to see that there is nothing being printed in the area of the "thin connections" (and the first print backs this up).

Any Slic3r settings to force it to print something in those areas? I rummaged around in the settings and advanced area, but I couldn't find anything whose description made it sound like it would fix this.

Thanks. -Bret
Re: Thin perimeters don't exist
August 25, 2014 04:14PM
Try changing the default extrusion width in the "Advanced" section of the print settings. If it's too wide, Slic3r may be ignoring some of the thinner parts.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
August 25, 2014 04:43PM
That did the trick! I had it at the default setting of "0" which is really "Auto". I have a 0.4mm tip and it must take that as a 0.4mm extrusion width when in "Auto". When I change it to 0.3mm it connected one of the thin spots and going down to 0.2mm extrusion width connected both of them. Now I just hope that my printer can deal with that extrusion width :-). Thanks for the help!
August 27, 2014 10:29AM
If you look at the first few lines of the G code file when width is set to 0 (auto), you will see a comment line where Slic3r reports the perimeter width it is using. If that is thicker than a wall in your STL, the wall will not be printed.

Dave
August 27, 2014 10:36AM
Cool. I found the old file and sure enough it says that the extrusion width is 0.40mm. And clearly some of the thin points were thinner than that. Nice tip Dave. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login