Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

thin layer print , increase speed print

Posted by jf pion 
thin layer print , increase speed print
July 09, 2012 06:08AM
When you try to print with thin layer to increase the print aspect, why not only use thin layer for the 2 outside perimeters ?

for example if I want 0.1 high layer why not print the inner perimeters and infill and support to 0.4 high ?

0.4 for 0.2 layer
0.45 for 0.15 layer ?

this way you could get the best of the 2 better surface aspect, better print speed

also an option to have a parametric square perimeters inside the part (for the big parts ) with a parametric number of perimeters to increase the solidity of the part with low infill value and more inportant increase the resistance to perimeters delamination (or may be some intern ribs to do the same)

thank you
Re: thin layer print , increase speed print
July 09, 2012 03:08PM
This has been an option in Slic3r since the very first release. It called infill every N layers.

Also 0.4mm layers are way to large for most hotends. 0.35mm layers is about the max you ever want for a 0.5mm nozzle. 0.25mm layers is about the max you ever want for a 0.35mm nozzle. The rule is you want at least a w/t of 1.5

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
July 09, 2012 05:05PM
ok but the option is not clear in what is it really done !

i understood it make a very light infill not that the height of the infill layer is a multiple of the perimeters height

so i was wrong

the wiki need really to be improved !

thank you
July 10, 2012 07:59AM

0.4mm layers are way to large for most hotends. 0.35mm layers is about the max you ever want for a 0.5mm nozzle.

It all depends on the die swell. I have been happily printing 0.4 layers with a 0.4mm nozzle with ABS from reprapsource.com. The last batch they sent me had a bit less die swell (and it has GRRF labels on it!). I bored out my nozzles to 0.45mm to compensate and left the gcode the same. With a 0.5mm nozzle I can print up to 0.48mm layers. This is all with W/T = 1.5 but using my flow rate maths, not Slic3r or Skeinforge's.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 10, 2012 02:43PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 0.4mm layers are way to large for most hotends.
> 0.35mm layers is about the max you ever want for a
> 0.5mm nozzle.
>
> It all depends on the die swell. I have been
> happily printing 0.4 layers with a 0.4mm nozzle
> with ABS from reprapsource.com. The last batch
> they sent me had a bit less die swell (and it has
> GRRF labels on it!). I bored out my nozzles to
> 0.45mm to compensate and left the gcode the same.
> With a 0.5mm nozzle I can print up to 0.48mm
> layers. This is all with W/T = 1.5 but using my
> flow rate maths, not Slic3r or Skeinforge's.

You are totally correct I was just trying to simplify the rules for them as getting into measuring the die swell and is harder for people to grasp at first.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
July 12, 2012 04:34AM
slicer allow layer height equal to the nozzle size.

I did some print with this setting, for structural part no need for high quality aspect, the print went quite well, (modulo the geometrical pb coming from earlier slicer version)

anyway i will stay to 0.4 max with my 0.5 jhead

thank you for the advice
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login