Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Win Xp compatibility?

Posted by GITRDUN 
Win Xp compatibility?
May 22, 2016 10:18AM
I am running Windows XP and the latest version on Slic3r says not a valid win32 application when i try and run it. I havent used slic3r for a couple years and thought id try out the latest version. Is there a work around or is it a lost cause?
Re: Win Xp compatibility?
May 22, 2016 12:45PM
Are you joking?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
May 22, 2016 12:50PM
Make sure you downloaded the x86 version.
May 22, 2016 02:14PM
Ah, i downloaded the X64 version. That was it. Thanks.
May 23, 2016 07:32AM
the_digital_dentist
Are you joking?

Why would he be joking? Many of us work on the principle of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," and if WinXP does everything you need, why change just because Micro$oft wants you to buy their new shiny? I have a couple of XP machines that I use for various tasks. As they are not used for anything Internet related, security is not a significant issue. Every OS upgrade has resulted in a day or more of my time sorting out various issues, and rarely results in any improvement for me, so why waste a day for no reason? I have a few applications that work fine on XP, but exhibit problems on later OS's - mainly real-time applications that don't like too many system interrupts.

Dave
May 23, 2016 10:48AM
It just seems a little weird to be geek enough to be 3D printing at the edge of hobbyist technology and to still be running a 15 YO OS or even to be using a computer that's capable of doing so. Tech geeks usually have multiple computers available in one form or another, including some fairly modern machines running more recent OS's. Considering how everyone seems to be hung up on printer speed (every second counts- gotta go faster!), you'd think they'd be equally nutz over slicing speed (to say nothing of the time and effort required to maintain a machine that old).

I can see running host software (if you don't have an SD card reader) on a machine like that, but slicing? Hmmm.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
May 24, 2016 09:57AM
Apples and oranges. Print time is typically measured in hours, slicing time is measured in minutes or even seconds. A 10% improvement in print speed is significant, while halving the slicing speed is neither here nor there. A 15 or even 20 year old PC may be worth nothing, and be too limited in RAM and horsepower to run the latest Windows, but is still perfectly adequate to use as a dedicated PC with the printer. Lots of people like to have a standalone printer that does not need to share other hardware, and while it would be possible to slice files on a different PC, it is more convenient to do so at the printer station where you can tweak setting and test the results without needing to carry memory sticks to and fro between the shed or workshop to the place where the main PC is, possibly interrupting someone else who is using that PC. Dedicating the latest quad-core PC with gigabytes of RAM just to service a 3D printer would be a bit like buying a Lamborghini to do the weekly supermarket shop.

The latest PC will probably still be capable of running XP by the way, though it will not make the best use of the hardware and some things won't work.

Dave
May 24, 2016 11:42AM
There's a thing called network, if you don't want to dedicate your powerful PC for just the printer.
May 25, 2016 09:02AM
Mikk36
There's a thing called network, if you don't want to dedicate your powerful PC for just the printer.

I prefer to monitor and control my printer from a station next to it rather than a PC in a different room (or building). YMMV.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login