Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

c4d boole incorrect rendering

Posted by alex2357 
c4d boole incorrect rendering
May 30, 2016 07:49AM
Hi all,

I'm new to slic3r and 3d printing. Sorry for asking but google did not help.
My problem is that I'm creating a model using Cinema 4d. After I created that model I exported it into STL.
I use "Boole" actively. For example if I need to create a box with 2 mm walls. I create "Boole" and put 2 boxes into it. The first one outer box and the 2nd one is inner. I just did not find the way of specifying wall thickness. I'm fine with that approach. Create outer object and cut using inner object. The problem is that Slic3r doesn't show properly and generates gcode which is not what I expected. It seems that it partially ignores outer object and shows very thin walls only for inner object.
The cone object is appearing correctly, but the box is not. See in the attached files. The first 4 images how model looks in the cinema 4d. The next 3 images how model appears in the slic3r.
I also attached c4d file and stl. I also opened generated stl file using [www.3dvieweronline.com] and it appears the same way as in C4D.

Do I need modify some Slic3r options or what?

I installed from that slic3r-mswin-x64-1-2-9a-stable.zip archive.

Please note that once I delete the cylinder, export stl then box next to cone appears ok, but cone starts having similar troubles.
I tend to believe that:
1) Either some option should be modified
2) Bug with processing Boole objects.

This is not the first model. 2 days ago I created and printed another model. When I started removing support elements I broke my model. I could not understand why this has hapened and when I looked into model it was show 1px wall in layers. I noticed that Boole is not processed correctly.
Attachments:
open | download - 3dprint1.PNG (9.3 KB)
open | download - 3dprint2.PNG (15.2 KB)
open | download - 3dprint3.PNG (9.7 KB)
open | download - 3dprint4.PNG (10.7 KB)
open | download - 3dprint5.PNG (6.4 KB)
open | download - 3dprint6.PNG (4.7 KB)
open | download - 3dprint7.PNG (8.5 KB)
open | download - testModel.c4d (206 KB)
open | download - testModel.stl (102.1 KB)
Re: c4d boole incorrect rendering
May 30, 2016 11:13AM
I don't know about your CAD software, but I do a bit of 3D printing and use Slic3r a lot. There's a user guide to slic3r that explains the settings at the slic3r web site, and a lot of youtube tutorials that I recommend you review.

Beyond that, you have designed a part that will be a little tricky to print as a single piece. I would separate the cone and box and glue them together after printing. That will allow you to orient each on the printer's bed for minimum support material (actually, none should be needed) and maximum print quality.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
May 31, 2016 06:38AM
Your issue is that your Cinema 4D (which is not meant for doing mechanical CAD) is creating two seperate shells into the same STL file and they are not merged.
I would recommend you to try out some other mechanical CAD software, if you would like to do things properly.
Simplest would be to try out Autocad 123D, next up from that (yet still free for hobbyists) would be Autocad Fusion 360.

If you would prefer to do stuff online instead, there's Onshape, which is also free, when you don't mind sharing your files with the world.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2016 06:40AM by Mikk36.
May 31, 2016 10:38AM
Those are all fine CAD programs, but all have steep learning curves except 123D. For a super easy to learn and use, yet powerful 3D CAD freebie, look into DesignSpark Mechanical. I use it a lot and it does 99.9% of what I need.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
June 01, 2016 12:38AM
Thank you very much to all. I'll try to use some programs you recommended.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login