Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Feature request : Home after every layer ?

Posted by Replace 
Feature request : Home after every layer ?
July 13, 2016 01:39PM
I am not sure what the wipe (when extracting) excactly does. It seems a anti droop measure, but does not specify where to mover the nozzle..

however, I would like to move the nozzle to home position after every layer, to resume after that,
just as I would pause, home, resume... which gives the excact repositioning on the layer where the nozzle is supposed tobe, even when a step has missed in previous layer.

Maybe a wipe function, with a defined wipe-area on the home position, defined by end-stops, could be used / implemented ?

Thomas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2016 01:39PM by Replace.

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Feature request : Home after every layer ?
July 14, 2016 07:11AM
From what you say, you are looking for the printer to do a X & Y homing operation between layers rather than just moving to the home position. You could easily achieve that by putting appropriate custom G-code into the "Before layer change" and/or "After layer change" settings ("Printer Settings">"Custom G-code") Maybe enter the command "G28 X Y" in the "before layer change" setting. If you just want to move to the home position, put the command "G0 X0, Y0" in the before or after layer change setting.

However with most 3D printers that would be a very bad idea. X & Y home positions are usually found by means of non-precision switches or sensors that will not result in exactly the same home position every time. If your printer is skipping steps you should fix that issue rather than attempt a poor workaround.

Dave
July 14, 2016 12:42PM
Yes, I am refering to a switch based home operation, after which all will start from the 'absolute' zero.

I experience a missed step every now and then (not able to diagnose and very not systematically), so this might 'repair'the print after every layer that a step potential has been missed.

I agree fixing the problem is better, but untill then ....

I was not aware of any custom code áfter layer' I will dig ointo that

thnks
Thomas

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
July 14, 2016 03:22PM
I did put the command: G28 X Y in the after each layer.

Now, the carriage moves to x=0 from where the layer ended and it resumes at the right spot.
However, it does not go to y=0 in between.

Did I miss something ?

Thomas

July 14, 2016 06:41PM
You don't say what firmware you're running. It's possible it only looks for the first parameter. What happens if you pass G28 X and G28 Y as separate commands?
July 15, 2016 09:01AM
I am running Repetier Host on the host and Repetier in the firmware.

I will check the separation.

July 16, 2016 03:04PM
This is funny: I sliced 2 objects in one run.
During print, the carriage now homes the x, after each layer of EACH object.

Should it not treat the combi as one object ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login