Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windows 8: Slic3r does not start

Posted by nique 
Windows 8: Slic3r does not start
April 11, 2017 02:31AM
Hi all
I have a Win10 64 installation. Yesterday, I downloaded 1.2.9 and was able to setup my printer and finally print a model. Later I had a crash on the laptop without a usable errormsg (to me) - let me say a blue screen. I was not in Slic3r working, but it was there in the background. So I do not expect the crash from it.

Since then, Slic3r do not start anymore. Double click on it brings the rotating donut for about 2 seconds, thats it.

I then tried 1.2.9 in 32bit and also 1.3.0-dev. almost the same result. The first time I got a warning from Microsoft defender SmartScreen. I went to details so I could start it anyway. Guess what: Does not run. I added Slicer (the whole directory) to defender exeptions, I disable defender as well as SmartScreen. But all with the same result. Slic3r does not start anymore

When I start the app as admin, the donut is there for about 5 seconds but does not start the app anyway.

What can I do? Is it possible that some dll or whatever will be deleted just after copy them? How can I track what is missing/wrong? I do not expect a Slic3r-Error, I expect it in my system. But I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks for help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 11:26AM by nique.
Re: Windows 8: Slic3r does not start
April 12, 2017 11:28AM
Sorry, it is Windows 8 confused smiley

No hints from anyone?
April 12, 2017 01:22PM
Without knowing what the blue screen error message was, it is hard to say what is wrong. There is a reason those blue screens display error codes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 01:22PM by MrBaz.
April 13, 2017 03:13AM
After I installed a newer version of slic3r it took about 1min until I saw the User interface.
Maybe you can check the task manager to see if the program is busy in the background. ( collecting info of the former version etc... )
April 13, 2017 08:13AM
My Slic3r has always taken a minute to bring up its GUI on Win8 after launching. I have no idea what it's doing for all that time. Perhaps trying to find a meaning for its existence? Trying to bring World peace? Works OK once it's decided to finally make an appearance.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login