Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

printing inverted cones

Posted by jeblesh 
printing inverted cones
August 31, 2012 02:47AM
hi am new to 3d printing but not to extrusions method's in the industry
one major thing am heaving problems weth is set scaling factors inverted cone printing demonstrate the problem to b solved clearly

the crawl up of the perimeter is a result of plastic cool down and shrink while it's stuck to other plastic's , the shrinking amount is predictable
so the factors to offset the scale base on distance from center point of the perimeter shape

lat's say u print a solid cylinder of 3mm u need to scale it up exponentially from predetermined distance from the perimeter while printing

in other words u well need to offset the the infill from the perimeter in relation to the circumference of the perimeter i think that well b the best
approach not perfect but definitely better the the current status ...

in case of the attached inverted cone as i pasted the top well not b leveled since of horizontal force well b converted to vertical one clearly
in the current slis3r witch well show the effect clearly , looking on sli3er i c no such option and very disappointed ):

m i missing it or ?

any one know of any way to generate gcode that well offset the perimeter from infill in relation to the circumference of it ?
Attachments:
open | download - cone test.stl (13.8 KB)
Re: printing inverted cones
September 11, 2012 04:49AM
As this is a very specific issue for printing the cone, why not generate the cone with the offset you need, rather than expecting the slicing software to accommodate it? You will have far more control over it if you draw what you want with your CAD program.
Re: printing inverted cones
September 14, 2012 09:55AM
jeblesh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lat's say u print a solid cylinder of 3mm u need
> to scale it up exponentially from predetermined
> distance from the perimeter while printing
>
> in other words u well need to offset the the
> infill from the perimeter in relation to the
> circumference of the perimeter i think that well b
> the best
> approach not perfect but definitely better the the
> current status ...

No, you don't need to do that. Each layer will stick onto the build platform or the previous layer while it's solidifying and stay where the extruder puts it. I know for sure that cylinders don't need any sort of offsetting to print correctly, I have printed those many times accurately with the current programs.

The solidifying layers will generate a force, but the force will act to raise the edges of the print up. This is a fairly common problem but it's not correctable in the slicing phase (the object's bottom will become curved, there's no way to correct that). This problem is only handled by avoiding it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login