Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rotary Printing? Rotating Printer head

Posted by distantkitty 
Rotary Printing? Rotating Printer head
August 21, 2018 08:48PM
Hello all,
I may be trying something impossible with Slic3r. I'm trying to print around a rotating cylinder (X-axis) using the "Vase" setting. I have achieved what I wanted in a way, I have converted the Cartesian points to a polar coordinates via post processing and the Z-axis is the length of the cylinder. In this current method the print head will always be hitting the the cylinder, is there a way to "rotate" the head so the nozzle is always tangent to the surface of the cylinder?

I can do all this toolpathing in normal 4 and 5axis CAM, but I'm looking for something opensource and geared for FDM not subtractive manufacturing .

Thanks!
Re: Rotary Printing? Rotating Printer head
August 22, 2018 12:40AM
A few people experimented with rotating beds, but AFAIK there is no specific mode in a slicer yet.
Usually the radius is Z, the cylinder-height is X and the Y-axis is configured to rotate CW and CCW. ( No vase mode )
Maybe you can get away with defining an 'infinite' length for Y-axis.
32bit controllers are able to deal with several 1000m. ( was it 9km?)
October 06, 2018 03:51PM
I am interested in printing on rotary surfaces as well. I opened a thread some month ago. [reprap.org]

Can you post some pictures of your machine and prints?

Here are two approaches I found:
This one uses a mendel: [www.3ders.org]
This one uses a Hyrel printer: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2018 03:56PM by Dahah.
November 02, 2018 09:46AM
Hi. At Hyrel, we have six axis compatibility built in to all Hydra models, so the A, B and/or C axes can be assigned as needed.

The video linked above uses the A axis for rotation. This video shows how to install a fourth axis if you want to add one later: [www.youtube.com]

This video shows five axis movement; I apologize for the enthusiasm of the camera operator. [www.youtube.com]
November 03, 2018 03:11AM
Controlling 5 axis is not the problem, but do you have a slicer that fits the 5-axis machine? (eg. for laser engraving a semi-sphere )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 03:13AM by o_lampe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login