Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wall Thickness Calibration

Posted by mikemwa 
Wall Thickness Calibration
September 14, 2012 07:15PM
I am printing a calibration square that is 100mm x 100mm x 5mm high with 5mm walls. I can get the O.D. to print out with .03 to .05 accuracy. My problem is that the walls turn out to be 5.2 to 5.4 thick. What settings do I need to change to get the thickness of the walls accurate? I've tried everything I can think of.
Re: Wall Thickness Calibration
September 14, 2012 07:27PM
You would need to print a solid cube but turn off all infill and solid layers. Set the perimeters to 1 and then print it. You will then compare the single wall thickness to the one noted at the beginning of the gcode file. One you get the single wall to print out the correct thickness all the calibration in Slic3r is done and you need to calibrate the steps per mm in the firmware for your machine so it moves the correct distance. Once all of those are done you should be all set to print accurate items.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
September 16, 2012 06:04AM
There is an extrusion calibration guide in the Slic3r documentation on GitHub. [github.com]
October 05, 2012 07:14AM
I think that the instruction to use the ratio of the square of the theoretical width over the square of measured width to calculate the extrusion multiplier is wrong. They should not be squared. It should just be the ratio. The reason is that the extruded length and thickness are fixed and so only the width will change with the extrusion multiplier which is basically a fudge factor to the length of feed that the extruder pulls in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2012 07:21AM by brnrd.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login