Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gcode is entirely missing layers.

Posted by SupraGuy 
Gcode is entirely missing layers.
April 29, 2019 10:34AM
So I put together a little model in TinkerCad, it's just a little business card holder. The walls are 1.5mm thick, and I have it set for 0.5mm extrusion width.

It's set for a 0.2mm first layer, and 0.1mm layers after that. The model is about 75mm tall. About 60mm up, looking at the layers, they just... stop. The layer exists, but there's no extrusion in it. About a mm later, it resumes. I thought that it was a glitch in the preview, but that actually is what the GCode does on the printer, and I had a pile of extruded filament sitting on top of the partial finished print.

I didn't take a picture, but it's annoying, to say the least.

I've tried re-downloading the STL, adjusting the model, but Slic3r still does the same thing. Cura doesn't seem to have a problem with the model, but I haven't got everything set up for the kinematics of my printer in Cura, and I don't really want to do all of the setup, as I've always been happy with Slic3r before.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
Re: Gcode is entirely missingthrew layers.
April 29, 2019 10:42AM
Probably a broken stl.. not all cad programs generate slt's correctly.

try passing it though one of these [all3dp.com]
Re: Gcode is entirely missing layers.
April 29, 2019 10:54AM
My bad, I should have added that it works fine if I make all of the layers 0.2mm, or 0.25mm. It's only when I reduce the layer height to 0.1mm that it exhibits the problem.

Edit: I also just ran the model through 2 of the web based services, and it doesn't seem to have problems. I can't attach the STL file, but the TinkerCad model is here: [www.tinkercad.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2019 11:00AM by SupraGuy.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
Re: Gcode is entirely missing layers.
April 29, 2019 12:08PM
Cura and repetier host both reprt the stl as not watertight.
Cura seems to slice it ok
Slic3r prussa edition slices ok.

dammed if i can get Slic3r to work tho.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login