Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what's happened from version 0.7 to version0.9.2??

Posted by Dirty Steve 
what's happened from version 0.7 to version0.9.2??
September 24, 2012 02:57PM
First problem in 0.9.2, first layer is set to 0 instead of the 60% first layer I select.

Second problem, layers do not solid infill, even with dropping down the nozzle diameter.

No problems that I've run into yet with 0.7 (today is my third day of printing on my new machine), start and end layers are solid filled and the first layer is the correct height from the bad. No fudging nozzle diameter or anything like that.

So what happen to Slic3r??

What version first had the plater display added? Really like that, but the code bugs are not worth it.
Re: what's happened from version 0.7 to version0.9.2??
September 24, 2012 03:23PM
The completely re-wrote the program at some point and it was after 0.7.2b which is the most stable in my opinion. The platter came in 0.8.? I would stick with 0.7.2b if I were you.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
September 24, 2012 05:19PM
Currently using 0.7.0, will download 0.7.2b.

Haven't read anything particulary good in the later versions.

Stupid me, THINKING the latest version would be better.........
October 24, 2012 05:13AM
Dirty Steve, you're talking about "bugs" but you're not attaching any evidence or detail about them. Thousands of users are using up-to-date Slic3r versions on a daily basis, and, well, nobody would if it was so broken. So please, help us understand what your problems are. I'm here for this.

I'm trying to understand your problems, but they are really not clear to me.

The first one you reported is: first layer is set to 0 instead of the 60% first layer I select. I really don't understand what this sentence means. What setting are you referring to? Can you describe the steps to reproduce your issue?

The second one is: layers do not solid infill, even with dropping down the nozzle diameter. I don't really understand how "dropping down the nozzle diameter" would help with getting solid infill. Do you really think there's a relationship between that action and your expected result? I'll say, very friendly, that you should understand things a bit better before talking about "bugs". You should start by reporting your issue: steps to reproduce, attach your config.ini, your STL file, maybe pictures or screenshots. This way the community can help you in a more concrete way to get your printer tuned and printing.

You know, we open source developers are very afraid of people saying "hey, it's br0ken" without any reason or proof, because that will scare new users and spread a negative halo around the project. Before saying such things, please, attach some evidence and allow for discussion.
October 24, 2012 06:47PM
Not changing nozzle size, meant extrusion width.

0.7.2b auto calculated an extrusion width of .26mm while 0.9.2 calculated .33mm, resulting in sparse infill of solid layers, manually entering an extrusion width of .26 into Sli3r 0.9.2 corrected that.

With a layer height of .15mm, and first layer set to 60%, the gcode shows a Z value of 0.00 for the first layer when it should be .09mm.

From all versions of Slic3r, solid infill layers always have a gap with the perimeters, either all the way around or weighted to one side, and on some larger models I've seen gaps in long curved perimeter loops.

My machine is accurately set up, with axis steps calculated with a dial indicator to 0.001mm. I can run 2d code with a pen mounted and get 100% accurate dimesions. No dropped steps, no loose belts, no loose drive gears.

I refuse to 'fudge' dimesionally accurate models to correct for off slicing. i.e. internal hole dimesions.

Switched to Skeinforge, and all these problems have been resolved because you can actually change infill/perimeter overlap and change internal and external perimeter positioning.

My flow rate is spot on as well, as I get pracically no blobs or stringing, and my solid layer density is right on as a solid layer just barely shows where the nozzle passes are, no gaps from too little material and no ridges from too much material.

Slic3r seems fine for my organic models, just not so much for mechanical dimensions.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 02:58PM by Dirty Steve.
October 28, 2012 07:54AM
Can you share the G-code file showing that first layer is printed at Z = 0? Also, please attach your config.ini.
October 28, 2012 12:54PM
Been a month, can't reproduce the 0 Z output. Switched to Skeinforge.

I probably cross corrupted Slic3r releases because at the time I was runnning my STL's thru every release.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login