Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't move part on plater.

Posted by lar3ry 
Can't move part on plater.
July 05, 2021 05:08PM
I just installed slic3r V1.3.0 on Ubuntu MATE.
I can't seem to drag a part with the mouse to other places on the bed.
When I try, the part moves, but as soon as I let go pof the mouse button, it snaps back to the centre of the bed.
I have tried with all three mouse buttons, and with Shift, Ctrl, Alt and that one for Windows.

I also can't move it with the arrows.

What am I doing wrong?
Re: Can't move part on plater.
July 05, 2021 09:55PM
Slicers automatically locate parts on the center of the bed because historically that was the place they were most likely to stick long enough to complete the print. If you're trying to make room for other parts, just put them on the bed too and let the slicer auto arrange them.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
July 06, 2021 12:10AM
the_digital_dentist
Slicers automatically locate parts on the center of the bed because historically that was the place they were most likely to stick long enough to complete the print. If you're trying to make room for other parts, just put them on the bed too and let the slicer auto arrange them.

Hmm.. I don't care much for things that are done for historical reasons.
Slic3r (at least the one on my Windows box) used to allow me to place all parts anywhere I wanted.
If the current incarnation of Slic3er for Linux does not allow that, it's a non-starter for me, and I'll have to use something else.

Edit: Never mind. I found the "Auto centre" setting, and strangely enough, it was checked..
You could have mentioned it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2021 01:56AM by lar3ry.
July 06, 2021 07:33AM
The center of the bed is still the best place to put prints to ensure that they will stick. The history part of it goes back to when people had crappy unflat/flexible beds on stupid 4 corner "leveling" systems. Also, they tended to use underpowered heaters that would heat up the center of the bed and not much else. Cheap printers are still built that way. If the slicer didn't put parts on the center of the bed people would complain that the slicer (or filament, or filament brand, etc.) sucks because their prints don't stick.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
July 06, 2021 11:32AM
My apologies. For some reason, I have been a little cranky lately, and have been jumping to conclusions without properly researching the cause of recent problems.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login