Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

updating slic3r

Posted by shoeswith 
updating slic3r
November 25, 2012 10:15AM
Sorry this is a bit of a newbie question. I just got a reprap from a friend and I have started printing but my slic3r is an old version 9.1. I wanted to update it to a later version can I just remove the original .exe from its folder and put in the new version or should I remove all folders and replace everything except for the config files

Thanks
Re: updating slic3r
November 25, 2012 05:11PM
I'm not sure, but I did that earlier for the Slic3r packed with ReplicatorG, and it worked.
Don't be mad if it doesn't with you...

But why don't you download the newest version? To my knowledge it won't install, it works directly from the folder you have unzipped to.
As I found out, the settings are stored in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Slic3r
So a new install also use this settings.
I had a problem not starting Slic3r, with corrupt settings, and had to find them. After deleting the setting files Slic3r started again.

Bart
December 12, 2012 06:12PM
I just extract to a new directory and use that version from there. It's easy enough to create a shortcut to each version.
December 14, 2012 12:08PM
xiando Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just extract to a new directory and use that
> version from there. It's easy enough to create a
> shortcut to each version.

True, but the configs are always on the same spot.

Windows C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Slic3r
Mac User/Library/Application Support/Slic3r/

there is a slic3r.ini file and three directories with all the settings(printer, print, filament) in it

For new versions (or using older with new configs) there are sometimes problems with the configs because of new settings implied. When having errors with Slic3r (or not starting up at all), it almost always solved by deleting the configs and start with default.
After that you can add and edit your precious configs to find the error.
Bart
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login