Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

installed slic3r 9.7 but can't write to config.ini file & other errors Ubuntu

Posted by steve 
installed slic3r 9.7 but can't write to config.ini file & other errors Ubuntu
November 29, 2012 11:33AM
Hey,

I just downloaded the linux bin file for slic3r 9.7 and extracted it as the default Slic3r directory within pronterface. However when I try to launch it from Pronterface (the path files in the options area should be the same) it give the following errors:

First:

The selected preset does not exist anymore (config.ini).

Then after clicking ok it replys:

Can't call method "has" on an undefined value at /home/3dprint/print/Printrun/Slic3r/lib/std/Slic3r/GUI/Tab.pm line 191.

After clicking ok several times it cycles through both messages and finally stops. However it never saves the config.ini file to the bin folder. I made the Slic3r filder "777" and all its subfolders.

here are the option settings:

slicecommand:
/home/3dprint/print/Printrun/Slic3r/bin/slic3r $s --load config.ini --output $o

sliceoptcommand:
/home/3dprint/print/Printrun/Slic3r/bin/slic3r --load config.ini --ignore-nonexistent-config

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve
Re: installed slic3r 9.7 but can't write to config.ini file & other errors Ubuntu
November 29, 2012 11:45AM
Also -- I tried putting a "./" before the config (ie. ./config.ini) in both the slicecommand and sliceoptcommand settings.

Plus Slic3r appears to load fine by itself (which was strange because I could swear it originally loaded by itself & I modified the settings & saved -- but didn't think it wrote a config.ini file. That's why I changed the folder to "777" but it "remembered the settings when I relaunched it. Is it possible that I'm overlooking something obvious, like a change in the directory where the config file is saved?
Re: installed slic3r 9.7 but can't write to config.ini file & other errors Ubuntu
November 29, 2012 12:33PM
Tried rebooting in case something somehow was cached somewhere... no luck

Just tried the Printrun-experimental version with it in a separate folder & got the same errors as above (I corrected the path to include the different dir)

??
November 29, 2012 10:11PM
Ok, time to try Kisslicer I guess
December 03, 2012 09:14PM
Funny, I'm using Kisslicer pro, but I am now much happier with Slic3R because of the dual print / print support with the other extruder / not so picky with defects in the stl.....
Using it a week now, together with Repetier-Host with very good 3D gcode visualisation.
Maybe you can try the bundle Repetier-host / skeinforge / PyPy. I cant drive my printer with it, I have to use RepliactorG for it. I assume Pronterface is also a " driver" for your printer

Maybe I'm wrong, but your problem looks like the one I had. When there are corrupt config files, Slic3d won't start up. What I (think to) know is that Slic3d only uses the config.ini to import/export. And than only one setting at a time.
I think the settings delivering a problem are in the user folders of your compu. I don't now linux but for Windows they are in
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Slic3r
there is a slic3r.ini and three directories (printer, print, filament)
I assume for linux it's the same structure.

I simply deleted the complete directory with content, started Slic3R up, and it generated new default settings. No problems after that.
Hopes it helps.
Bart
December 05, 2012 08:25PM
@Steve - I have exactly the same issues with Vn 0.9.7 and Pronterface under Windows 64-bit.
The problem in saving (exporting) the config.ini seems to be with the parameters:

bottom_solid_layers
top_solid_layers
perimeters

If I change them from the default of 3, I often can't change them back via the GUI. The file writes, but the old values remain.
I've resorted to checking them (load slicing settings) and if not set then going in with a text editor and changing them manually.

David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2012 08:26PM by leitor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login