Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Skin thickness as opposed to perimeter thickness ?

Posted by AndrewC 
Skin thickness as opposed to perimeter thickness ?
December 17, 2012 08:03AM
Adding extra perimeters is basically a 2D function, works in parallel with top and bottom layers to fix the thickness of vertical or horizontal faces respectively. However, working in 3D with curved and angled faces, is there a way to specify a minimum skin thickness (ie amount of material measured perpendicularly to the face) ? I suppose automatic extra perimeters would help with this but that does seem to work in my implementation of 0.9.7

r/Andrew
TKL
Re: Skin thickness as opposed to perimeter thickness ?
January 04, 2013 02:16PM
I do not understand why we have to even think in perimeters and top/bottom layers. It is only relavant if we only printed objects with vertical and horizontal surfaces. What we want is a minimum shell / skin thickness that applied to the surface regardless of shape and angles.
Re: Skin thickness as opposed to perimeter thickness ?
January 04, 2013 04:34PM
Perimeters IS the number of "layers" perpendicular to the face. If you have 2 perimeters, the printer will go around the perimeter twice, one bead inside the other. I don't know about slic3r, but skeinforge has a skin plugin; I assume slic3r has something similar. This allows you to have multiple vertical perimeters (i.e. one on top of the other) within the same space as a normal layer. This makes it look from the outside that you sliced/printed at twice the resolution, but you don't have to wait twice as long for the print to complete.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login