Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ideal settings for a more friendly support material

Posted by Physics_Dude 
Ideal settings for a more friendly support material
December 17, 2012 09:11PM
From my experience, Slic3r's support material adheres to the printed parts much too well and always returned unpleasing results.

Does anyone have any pointers for producing cleaner support/part bonds that don’t leave such harsh artifacts on the part being printed? Specifically I'm looking for ideal settings related to extrusion width, speed, pattern/spacing, etc. I'm using a RepRapPro Huxley with 0.3mm nozzle and Slicer 0.9.7.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2012 11:54PM by Physics_Dude.
Re: Ideal settings for a more friendly support material
December 20, 2012 09:06PM
FWIW I've never found any slicer that will produce easily removable support if you print in PLA.
In ABS it's relatively easy to remove support material.
December 21, 2012 04:27AM
Kisslicer seems to produce much better support material. It's also a lot quicker than slic3r. Give it ago.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
December 22, 2012 03:12PM
0.9.7 produces support material that is much easier to remove than previous versions. The final layer of the support material is done at less than the full layer height, making it break away easier.
December 23, 2012 12:57PM
crispy1
0.9.7 produces support material that is much easier to remove than previous versions.

Eh, not from my experience, but then again, I haven’t toyed around with much of the settings responsible for support material.

Any thoughts on how adjusting support material extrusion width would help? What about pattern spacing, or speed?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login