Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how

Posted by cstep14 
how
January 24, 2013 03:10PM
How do I transition from pronterface on windows to slic3r on wheezy raspbian? Can you run slic3r on a raspberry pi?
Re: how
January 25, 2013 01:57AM
I have run Pronterface on the raspi but, due to lack of ram, it runs out of memory on anything but the simplest of objects. Same goes for slic3r. Nice idea but not worth the effort really.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
January 25, 2013 06:30PM
you know with some of these new android sticks coming out, i wonder how long it will be until we see more on android side of things.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
January 26, 2013 05:06AM
Not much untill these android devices start appearing with several gig (8 would be nice!) of ram. As for slicing, a quad core, hyper-threading i7 would also be usefull. Don't underestimate the horse power required for slicing and don't over estimate the power of these Arm cores. Running my printer, i have a Pentium quad core machine, 2 GHz i think, with 2 gig of ram running XP and it very often runs out of memory when slicing. I have to use my iMac (i7 3.5GHz with 12gig memory) for anything thats other than simple). Slicing is done using floating point Maths and not all arm cores are created equal when it comes to floating point units. I would hazard a guess that it will be 5 to 8 years before you see mobile processors getting any where near the performance of today's mid to high end processors. What would be interesting, however, is to see if slicing would lend its self to the massively parallel processing offered by the nVidia graphics processors.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
January 26, 2013 06:38AM
MotoBarsteward Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> running XP

Well there's your problem. Up until a few weeks ago I was running a single core 700mhz laptop with 2g of ram and could slice the high res original Yoda a 20micron layers (back when I was running Slic3r 0.7.2b) without memory issues. The laptop was running Mint 12 which was a bleeding edge distro with lots of compositing.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
January 26, 2013 05:00PM
I tried with Linux. Slic3r ran ok but I got fed up with having to jump through hoops to get anything else to work. I'd agree with your comment about XP memory management not being.perfect but OSX is unix based and I still have to back off layer height and fill occasionally to get slic3r to run with out crashing. The problem is that code running inside virtual machines like Jave and Python does not work well in swapped memory. Lots of physical memory tends to be required.

It might be interesting to find an optimal Linux distort ffor slic3r though. Can you let me have more details?

In any case, I think the 256meg available to thev raspi together with the less than great spec flpu is only going to dissapoint those trying to run slic3r on it.

January 26, 2013 07:23PM
MotoBarsteward Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tried with Linux. Slic3r ran ok but I got fed up
> with having to jump through hoops to get anything
> else to work. I'd agree with your comment about XP
> memory management not being.perfect but OSX is
> unix based and I still have to back off layer
> height and fill occasionally to get slic3r to run
> with out crashing. The problem is that code
> running inside virtual machines like Jave and
> Python does not work well in swapped memory. Lots
> of physical memory tends to be required.
>
> It might be interesting to find an optimal Linux
> distort ffor slic3r though. Can you let me have
> more details?
>
> In any case, I think the 256meg available to thev
> raspi together with the less than great spec flpu
> is only going to dissapoint those trying to run
> slic3r on it.

True 256 is far to little to be useful. For Linux I ran Linux Mint 12 64bit until I just replaced my Laptop this month and now I run Debian Testing (not for noobs) and I no longer use Slic3r at all, not even 0.7.2b. I only run Kisslicer and Cura now as they are much more reliable.

For a noob looking to get into Linux I used to suggest Ubuntu but it has gone to crap. But Ubuntu's base is still the most user friendly. So I would suggest either Gnomebunutu (ubuntu without Unity interface) or Linux Mint which is built on top of Ubuntu but is more like a conventional desktop and has all the features one would expect.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
January 26, 2013 07:43PM
i need to get back into the swing of linux again, but the main reason i use ubuntu derivatives is that i have found them to have the most software that i need on them, but they all have there quirks

i seem to be one of the few people out there who like KDE still.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login