Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Phantom features on fill Slic3r 0.9.8

Posted by slipshine 
Phantom features on fill Slic3r 0.9.8
February 09, 2013 11:36PM
I print alot of flat parts with raised lettering that get used for scrapbooking. I have noticed that several layers before a feature on top of the part is printing the fill layer will start to create the outline and fill for these features. Then the next layer will print solid and cover it all up. While the end part lookes ok this really takes up a bit of time. if there are settings I am missing that are causing this.

Thanks

I have attached a sample file.
Attachments:
open | download - Basketball.stl (400 KB)
open | download - Basketball-Code.gcode (455.6 KB)
Re: Phantom features on fill Slic3r 0.9.8
February 12, 2013 02:22AM
Can you show on the picture what you mean?

February 14, 2013 07:06PM
Thanks for responding lets see if this helps.

On layer A it will print a nice full layer
On layer B it will print a (phantom} fill for what is above it
On layer C it will print a solid fill layer thus making all the detail from layer B useless.
On layer D it will now print the actual layer that was a phantom from Layer B. But also prints a Phantom fill for the text
On layer E it will now print a full layer covering up the text.
On layer F it will now print the text correctly for the rest of the print.
Attachments:
open | download - LayerA.JPG (69.8 KB)
open | download - LayerB.JPG (68.4 KB)
open | download - LayerC.JPG (68.7 KB)
open | download - LayerD.JPG (65.2 KB)
open | download - LayerE.JPG (62.3 KB)
open | download - LayerF.JPG (51.1 KB)
February 14, 2013 11:16PM
According to your stl file and your gcode layer previews, it is all good. The gcode comes up just like your stl indicates.

As about the outlines you mentioned, they are also normal: there must be X solid layers on top and bottom. Since your part is pretty thin, the top solid layers must start up early, even earlier for the grooved channels of your basketball. So, it might seem it's an outline, but no, it's just doing his duty of X solid layers on top. Give it a value of 1 solid layer only, and it will generate the gcode without the confusing yet perfectly normal outlines.
(not sure if the explanation was quite easy to follow smiling smiley )
February 15, 2013 01:32PM
I believe I understand what you are saying. It just seemed pointless to have a layer print a filled in feature then cover it with a completely solid layer when both the layers could be printed as a solid fill and save alot of time.

As I am not a programmer I would not question what it takes to make all this happen. As I stated in the beginning it doesnt affect the finished parts it just takes a bit longer. I just wanted to report on what I saw as a odd behavor.

Keep up the good work. I really like the product.
February 21, 2013 04:02PM
I know exactly what you are talking about. It does the same thing for me.
I dont know why, and the prints finish up looking right, it just makes a sloppy lettered area under your letters. Either hollow or raised letters.

Dont have an answer on how to fix it, its just wasted time and wasted steps, but it ends ok.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2013 04:02PM by AcesOverEights.
February 23, 2013 05:20PM
Thanks - Good to know im not crazy.
April 27, 2013 08:05PM
could this be part of the 'only infill where needed' support feature that can be enabled/disabled in slic3r 0.99? I think this actually saves time as otherwise the entire surface of the previous layer would need to be filled in, but you can not unselect it in 0.98

this feature can be turned off in slic3r 0.99 : printer settings->infill, then unselect 'only infill where needed'
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login