Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slicing multipart assemblies

Posted by Woodsmoke 
Slicing multipart assemblies
February 25, 2013 02:27PM

What does one do in Slicer to avoid this issue?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2013 02:28PM by Woodsmoke.
VDX
Re: Slicing multipart assemblies
February 25, 2013 03:51PM
... separate them before slicing ...

Or print as 'different/support materials' with two extruders containing the same plastic ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 25, 2013 04:37PM
Cheers Viktor,

A multiheaded printer is certainly on my to do list.

In the mean time consider there can be no herringbone planetary gear assembly without printing the whole thing at once.

Slice the original .stl anywhere you like and you get 9 perimeters. 7 outer and 2 inner. They never overlap.
So why is Slic3r taking short cuts?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2013 04:39PM by Woodsmoke.
VDX
February 25, 2013 05:26PM
... when the centerlines+filamentradius are close enough, it seems to 'optimize' the paths.

Maybe you can trick the optimization by defining the filament-diameter for the perimeters slightly thinner, so the calculated gap will be wide enough to separate the parts in reality?

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 25, 2013 07:26PM
Have you scaled the stl or are you printing as-is? I'm using the latest slic3r, with pretty standard 0.5mm nozzle settings, with 0.2mm layer heights and it printed really well. I would just open up the scad file and very slightly increase the gap until it generates decent gcode.
February 26, 2013 05:09PM
The.9.8 Slic3r settings are 0.5mm width and 0.35 height. They seem pretty standard to me. Same with the Stl file. It was downloaded and slic3red 'as is'.

The original post is disingenuous. I am very grateful to Sound for this free and friendly software. I didn't want to come across as ungrateful. Never the less this seems like a shortcoming in the software that he would prefer to be aware of. Other slicing programs don't seem to exhibit the same symptom, if the 'I made one!' gallery on Thingiverse is at all representative.

If I was really being helpful I would go away and work out what shapes cause the mistake and report back with documentation! Perhaps that's what I'll do.
February 26, 2013 10:55PM
Did you ever have luck getting this to slice correctly? Been working on the same gear myself. Works great at the .25 tolerance via customized but any lower and slic3r takes the shortcuts. Tried many variations all with the same results. I also tried SF but it looked really bad and I am not familiar enough with all the setting to know how to make it better.
I did print one set at .25 tolerance and straight off the plate it turned freely. Wish I could get the .15 tolerance version to slice the same.
February 27, 2013 05:44AM
Perhaps the author of the "thing" knows the answer?
February 27, 2013 08:10AM
He is slicing and printing with Makerbot which is slicing it ok per his comments.
February 27, 2013 10:00AM
I was able to get a good slice with ReplicatorG which was using SF. So now lets see if I can get a version usable on my printer in standalone SF.
Attachments:
open | download - Snap24.jpg (125.9 KB)
February 27, 2013 05:52PM
I had exactly the same problem with Slic3r 0.98.
Kisslicer worked perfectly though so I used that version of the gcode to print my copies.

richgain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 05:54PM by richgain.
February 27, 2013 08:17PM
I tried Kisslicer again., took me a little bit to understand the settings. After that a nice clean slice. So easy.....
If the first couple mm of printing are an indication of the quality difference. Wow, huge difference in print quality. I printed a part with Slic3r earlier almost identical speeds etc... And the quality was not that great, different part so I may reprint with a Kisslicer created file.

Thanks for the tip. SF looked like a lot to tweak and get working.
May 02, 2013 05:21AM
Richgain let me in on a solution. Click the Split button for your multi-part stl but don't move the shapes generated. This will ensure Slic3r slices them properly. Perhaps this is what VDX was suggesting, it's difficult to tell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 05:22AM by Woodsmoke.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login