Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Least buggy version

Posted by GITRDUN 
Least buggy version
May 03, 2013 10:07PM
So what is the least bug filled version of Slic3r? Ive spent the last 2 days fighting the printer again before deciding its once again another slic3r bug.
Re: Least buggy version
May 04, 2013 05:16PM
It's frustrating i know, but your got it for free, please write i nice bug report and help to make the next version the bug free version your desidert
May 04, 2013 07:48PM
My $.02 . Stop making new features and new releases once in a while to focus on fixing bugs. Then once you have a solid bug free release that everyone can revert back to, go back to more experimenting and making more latest releases. Im not on here trying to start a fire i totally apreciate the open source software and i have a good idea of the amount of time and hard work it takes to write software.

Im simply asking which release is considered a solid bug free release. I have bounced around from one release to another inevitably killing alot of time chasing problems that turn out to be a sliceing problem. Its an endless cycle of frustration sometimes.
May 05, 2013 07:57AM
GITRDUN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My $.02 . Stop making new features and new
> releases once in a while to focus on fixing bugs.
> Then once you have a solid bug free release that
> everyone can revert back to, go back to more
> experimenting and making more latest releases. Im
> not on here trying to start a fire i totally
> apreciate the open source software and i have a
> good idea of the amount of time and hard work it
> takes to write software.
>
> Im simply asking which release is considered a
> solid bug free release. I have bounced around from
> one release to another inevitably killing alot of
> time chasing problems that turn out to be a
> sliceing problem. Its an endless cycle of
> frustration sometimes.

Agreed. I won't knock it as it's free and open source and Alessandro seems like a nice guy BUT I would love to see a release purely focused on some core functionality. A release addressing dimensional accuracy, with bug fixes and tool path optimisation would be nice.

However, I doubt we will see this any time soon as the people who are paying for the dev (i.e. Lulzbot) want new features and unfortunately their desires will take priority

I find I am using KISSlicer now about 90% of the time and when Jonathan adds bridging support it will probably be my sole slicer due its brilliance with core functionality.
May 05, 2013 10:11AM
Hi,

I used to use slic3r 0.72 for a while as it was most accurate for me and most stable release until 0.98 and 0.99.
Have tried Kisslicer a few times but had some issues with it until I tried RC3 and now the latest RC4 release.
Kisslicer is absolutely fantastic. I have had to change my files in regards to hole sizes as it seems to be much more accurate.
And I have also used the support feature wich is quite good as well. This may not be the case with every printer.
I do feel I have a bit more control with slic3r but harder to get satisfactory prints (probably me) smiling smiley
They are both good but at the moment I find Kisslicer just works for me.

Regards
Jan

======================================
[3dprinting4u.wordpress.com]
May 05, 2013 10:56AM
I also like the Kisslicer because it just works right out of the box and the toolpath seems more smooth. But the free version lacks the options of slic3r. I would gladly pay a little for a glitch free version of Slic3r. I think they have a great tool but id bet they are driving people to the other software slicers because of all the bugs.
May 05, 2013 10:09PM
For my 2¢ the current 0.9.9v is best and most solid. Still a few bugs but really good. Before that 0.7.2b was the best. Again just my 2¢ worth.
May 05, 2013 11:06PM
I had issues with bridging using 9.9. It was making rails and then bridging the gap between the two rails rather than spanning the length of the gap to make the bridge. Had the same bug in a couple of earlier versions about a year ago. It was always fixed with the next release.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login