Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slicing Eiffel

Posted by leadinglights 
Slicing Eiffel
June 13, 2013 11:23AM
I am trying to slice the Eiffel Tower but Slic3r fails every time. I have tried a number of times and am getting nowhere.
Early failures typically complained of lack of memory, but after setting the Slic3r's Advanced setting to resolution 0.05mm and Threads to 1, the most common error is:-
10:13:50.812 : => Processing triangulated mesh
10:32:12.484 : => Generating perimeters
10:56:46.562 : This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
10:56:46.640 : Please contact the application's support team for more information.
10:56:48.546 : terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
10:56:48.546 : what(): std::bad_alloc

The above is from Slic3r running under Repetier. Slic3r running in native mode terminates suddenly without reporting any error. There is nothing in Repetier's log or in Windows Event Viewer.

I have tried on two different computers: Dell Vostro 220s and Dell Optiplex745, both with 4gb memory. Paging memory set to 8gb. Both are running Windows XP.
I have also tried two different Eiffel Tower files: www.thingiverse.com/thing:23729 and www.thingiverse.com/ting:24068. Also tried the bottom layer of www.thingiverse.com/thing:32824
Files have been through Netfabb's Cloud service and Netfabb Basic.
I have tried slicing on Kisslicer and Cura. Both fail with memory issues, but Kisslicer produces a file with huge gaps in the print.

Is there anything else that I can try?

Thanks,

Mike
Re: Slicing Eiffel
June 13, 2013 07:23PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2013 07:14PM by waitaki.
VDX
June 14, 2013 02:06AM
... most common source for problems with STL files are 'non manifold' meshes or 'empty' triangles - try to repair the file netfabb ... I'm mostly remeshing objects in Lightwave, but most other CAD's capable of im-/exporting STL's should be usefull too ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 14, 2013 02:41AM
And now it gets interesting." The Eiffel Tower - Fixed by jameswood" did print at 2 times scale. The printer crashed about 30% of the way through, but showed that it can be done. At the same time, another computer was slicing at 2.4 times scale - and ran out of memory about 95% through generating the G code. Previous attempts to slice at 2.5 times and 2.25 times had failed with " terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc' "

The reason for wanting it bigger is that the girders are too small for practical printing at times 2 with my Rostock and 0.45 nozzle.
June 19, 2013 11:07PM
I recently tried printing a 325% scale version of this: [www.thingiverse.com]

I ran into problems printing it (filament spool jam while printing overnight), but it was taking a very long time to slice with 0.9.9 on my old Dell e1505 laptop (it might lose its print host job to my Raspberry Pi soon). I eventually just used my beefier desktop (which has a quad-core Intel Core i7 2600k with hyperthreading for a virtual 8 cores). I jacked up the threads from the default to 10, and it still took probably like 10-20 minutes. I didn't sit there waiting, so I'm not sure exactly how long it took, but my laptop was still chugging away when the desktop had already finished.

My point is this: it is a remarkably complex model to slice so bump your threads up and expect it to take a long time.

Also, I'm going fix my filament spool problem and try again soon. smiling smiley

1st working printer: Printrbot Plus v1 (built from kit, not pre-assembled) with Super-Z upgrade.
2nd printer currently under construction: Printrbot Plus v2 frame, with RAMPS electronics and TrinityLabs.com Magma hot end.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login