Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Overall size is right but holes are too small

Posted by alpalwal 
Overall size is right but holes are too small
June 27, 2013 01:56PM
I have two different drawings of this part that should both be completely accurate.

When I import the drawings into Slic3r it comes in extremely small. The piece above has to be blown up ~2500% to get the size shown.
Is there any way to have this import as the full size or will I always have to play with the percentage this much?

Since I've gotten the scaling percentage right that's not as big of an issue for now but the problem I'm facing is that when the overall size is correct, all the holes are ~10% too small. Since I'm having the same issue on two drawings that both should be right, I think this is a slicing/scaling issue.
Has anyone had a scaling issue where the overall size is right but the inside features aren't scaled properly?

Re: Overall size is right but holes are too small
June 27, 2013 03:06PM
what material are you printing? I have noticed some material (nylon especially) shrinks the holes WAY more than the outside.

you probably need to scale by 25.4 which is the scale factor from inch to metric (or 1/25.4 for the other way around)
June 27, 2013 04:36PM
It's ABS. The issue with just changing the scaling percentage is that the overall size is correct and so when I just change that, the hole sizes are right but it doesn't line up otherwise.
June 30, 2013 01:15PM
Nice print, AR15 lowers are quite a challenging print. What printer/support material are you using?

Slic3r often has issues with holes being too small.

Skeinforge seems to get them right, but skeinforge sucks in many other ways. You might try an older version of Cura which used skeinforge as the backend to slice (but the new version uses its own new slicing engine with which I am unfamiliar.)

Kisslicer is another option that I have had good results with, seems to get sizes right all round and is very quick. I found it a little "weird" to configure though - the terminology isn't RepRap standard.

I would reccomend Nopheads calibration object to check sizes of holes etc.
July 01, 2013 12:23PM
This was printed with a Makergear M2 and full support.

Thanks for the tips! I'll take a look at the different slicers and see if I can get some better results with a different program.
July 01, 2013 03:50PM
SanjayM Wrote:
> I would reccomend Nopheads calibration object to
> check sizes of holes etc.

Can you direct me to the source of the calibration object? I cannot find it.
Thanks.
July 01, 2013 05:07PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login