Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slicing multiple objects and moves between objects

Posted by nikbjo 
Slicing multiple objects and moves between objects
November 05, 2013 03:12PM
I just tried printing 5 objects when calibrating the printer and i noticed that slicer first printed the inner perimeter (a hollow cube with 3 perimeters) for all 5 objects, then the middle for all 5 objects and last the external perimeter for each layer. Is there any valid reason to do it this way instead of finishing the layer for one object at a time?

Btw I'm using slicer 0.9.10b
Re: Slicing multiple objects and moves between objects
November 06, 2013 04:00PM
Cooling would be one reason. If the head keeps touching areas just laid down that are still hot then it's possible to get distortion of print by keeping the plastic molten. It may not show up on the first few layers but eventually it would just push material around like a spoon in pudding. By 'taking a break' and switching to another part or another area of the same part it can give the freshly laid down plastic time to cool and firm up.

If you want to see what would happen print a 10mm cube (just one) and make sure cooling is turned off. The base will be ok but further up the cube it will start to just push around already laid down plastic until it no longer looks like a cube.
November 08, 2013 03:08PM
The cooling would be as good (probably even better) if you finish the layer completely for each object before moving to the next one, and there will be less risk of oozing.
November 08, 2013 06:31PM
Slic3r shouldn't do that - maybe you could try v0.99

November 10, 2013 08:44AM
I have seen the same thing and it drove me nuts and resulted in a lot of extruder jams. What you want to do is check the little box in the settings that says "avoid crossing perimeters". It is in the print settings tab, layers and perimeters page, all the way at the bottom. When you check that it will force slicer to complete each object layer before moving to the next object on the same layer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login