Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Skewed print of gear wheel - other prints OK

Posted by jamesd256 
Skewed print of gear wheel - other prints OK
December 08, 2013 03:36PM
Hi,

I'm trying to print a bevel gear, and it's coming out a bit distorted.

I do have some minor calibration issues with cubes, but it seems much worse on this print.

The gear has an internal hexagon shape to accept a bolt/nut, and it's here where you can really see the issue. Picture attached. Hopefully you can see that 2 sides of the hexagon are much longer than the others.

The faces of these longer sides are oriented diagonally with respect to x and y, so it is not a simple matter of x or y being out.

Using Repetier Host, when I tell the printer to move in X or Y in manual mode, the moves are accurate to below 1%, so it's just this gear that goes wrong.

Thanks

James

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2013 03:37PM by jamesd256.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20131208_122238(1).jpg (50.8 KB)
Re: Skewed print of gear wheel - other prints OK
December 08, 2013 08:53PM
Looks like your printer needs calibrating.
December 09, 2013 08:30AM
Yes I would agree with that. My problem is knowing how I went wrong with my calibration.

All my steps per mm checks come out right for x, y, z and e0. My bed is nicely levelled, my stepper drivers are trimmed right.

I can print other objects without this distortion, hence my confusion.

Maybe someone could advise the best place to post this type of question.
December 09, 2013 10:25PM
I would post it in the General section at the top of the forum. Most hardware and calibration talk goes on there. This is a Slic3r forum and I really don't think this is a Slic3r issue. Sorry I don't know the calibration stuff myself or I would help.
December 09, 2013 10:31PM
Do not post in the general forum. It is a mechanical problem so try the mechanical forum. Or try the printing forum, but do not post technical questions in the general forum. The sticky and the title say not to post technical questions in general.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
December 11, 2013 03:04PM
I answered in your other post. This is a sign of backlash in one or both axis. You would see the same oval shape printing any circular object but it will not manifest when printing cubes oriented on the axis as you can "calibrate" out the backlash.

-Rob A>
December 31, 2013 03:48PM
I had something like this once. It was due to the grub screw being loose in the drive pulley for that axis

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login