Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r... Out of Control bug list, time to get a clue...

Posted by ShawnT98027 
Re: Slic3r... Out of Control bug list, time to get a clue...
August 26, 2014 08:14PM
Why do I use Slic3r? Here is my list:
1. It was shipped with my 3d printer and there was a good beginner's guide to most important settings.
2. It works for me. I've encountered only one two real bugs so far. That is a low bug density I'd say. I did get quite a number of ruined prints, but not a single one was caused by Slic3r itsef (they were caused by my incompetence, not adequate print settings or hardware fault - I'm still a 3d printing beginner, I have only had a 3d printer for two months).
3. It is the only one among those supplied with Repetier-Host which is able to expose infill in custom areas of a model. See topic [forums.reprap.org] . I have made 4 objects with such features so far (three speaker cabinets and one filter for liquids).
4. It is highly configurable, yet its settings are easy to understand (for me at least). I have had a hard time when trying Skeinforge, I almost had to look up documentation for every setting. Didn't get a single slice out of it yet. BTW, I couldn't get a successful slice out of Cura either (from within Repetier-Host. I always get G-code with zero extrusion... I'll return to that some time later maybe).

Thanks for pointing out KISSlicer. I did know it exists, but Keep It Simple Slicer is not what I want. I did not find enough feature highlights on its website when I was about to try, so turned around. I'll take another look at it when Slic3r would fail to do what I need.

PS. I don't print toys. That's not what I've bought a 3d-printer for! I'm an electronics hobbyist, I love making something new!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 08:18PM by DeepSOIC.
Re: Slic3r... Out of Control bug list, time to get a clue...
August 27, 2014 11:16AM
IMO it is not fair to rant about something you got for free that does not perform as well as you would like. Criticism is fine, but unless you pay for a product, the developers owe you nothing and you should have no expectations. Yes, I am also a tad disappointed that each version of Slic3r seems to have new bugs, making it difficult to determine which version is the best to use - I have one version that will miss out infilling some 3mm walls (but not others), while another version will not bridge correctly, so I am often not sure which version will be best to use for a particular job. Cura has no bugs that affect me, does a far better job at support but has fewer options and doesn't detect bridges and so can be impossible for me to use with parts that have bridges. My own opinion is that it would be better to tackle the bug list in Slic3r than add new features, but I am not paying for it so have no right to demand or rant. As a programmer myself, I am aware that it is far more fun to add features than to diagnose and fix bugs, and these guys are basically writing the code as a hobby rather than for a living or as a serious endeavour, so they have every right to ignore we users and do whatever they most enjoy doing, just as we have a right to pay for a commercial product where we will benefit from normal consumer rights and can sue if we don't get a satisfactory product. In short, always remember that we are users not customers.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login