Can someone please help me... I've spent hours working on this
March 23, 2014 02:21AM
Hey guys... I know everyone here has posted tons of stuff about how to calibrate their machines... but no matter how much I try, it never works for me. I wouldn't have even messed with the calibration stuff, except I get results like the first picture, where the extruder gouges out stuff from the previous layer (my guess is from over extruding?) but then at least it fills in all the way. I've calibrated the extruder... it puts out 100 mm of filament when I ask for 100 mm of filament, so no problems there I hope? Then I calibrate the flow rate... I have to use an extrusion multiplyer of .65 to get my .45 mm nozzle to print out a .5 mm thick wall. So then I think it should work right? Then I get results like the second picture. The perimeters don't even touch eachother! I'm feeling like there is a middle ground that I'm missing... but I can not hit it for the life of me. Is there some setting that I'm not realizing exists?

I'm using repetier host .95F with slic3r v 0.9.9 on a solidoodle 4
Attachments:
open | download - over extruding.PNG (383.3 KB)
open | download - under extruding.PNG (289 KB)
Re: Can someone please help me... I've spent hours working on this
March 23, 2014 02:38AM
I am not an expert, definitely not,

but my similar problems were bases on not having the first layer extrusion put to ZERO (which is not the same as default 100%) and by not having raised the extruder multiplier a bit.
You lowered it. Please check first layer setting and if it is at 100%, make it zero, try again and maybe add 10% extrusionmultipier in stead of lowering to .65

Maybe this can work for you.
But again.. it worked for me , the not expert :-)

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
March 23, 2014 04:16AM
That first image looke like tooo much extrusion or too much heat.

When you calibrated your extruder it's not based on how much comes out but how much goes in. I.E. put a mark on the filament 100mm from the inlet of the extruder (or some other known point) and then extrude 100mm and see if it moved that far (100mm input not output).

Next, let us know more. What material are you using, what temperature, what speeds

I don't believe a .45mm nozzle should extrude a 5mm wide print. Best to leave the extrusion multiplier to default, it's to compensate for wrong calibration and it's much better to get this done right to begin with.
March 23, 2014 04:30AM
Wow! I don't know what the first layer part has to do with the rest of the layers, but it definitely helped. I got the best result yet from that setting change. Thanks a lot!
March 23, 2014 04:36AM
I'm using ABS at a bed temp of 105 and extruder at 215. I did the extruder calibration like you said, so I think that should be fine. I read somewhere that the print width should extrude a little bigger than the diameter of the nozzle, as this allows for the layers to be slightly squished together (I'm also a beginner, so I could be totally wrong on this). When I tried to get the calibration wall to be .46 - 4.8 mm, it was so weak it wouldn't even print right. I added a picture of what all my speeds are.
Attachments:
open | download - speeds.PNG (69 KB)
March 23, 2014 06:53AM
swkfmf
Wow! I don't know what the first layer part has to do with the rest of the layers, but it definitely helped.

you can play with the first layer separately, to 'play' around for stickiness etc. Sometimes you want more sometimes less, depending on bed type, or tape-type on the bed.
Also it can be important to the initial hight of the nozzle above the bed. For each next layer it is based on the step size, for the first layer it depends on how critical you have lined-up the nozzle.
Anyhow, it is a parameter so it can screw-up :-)

Glad it helped.

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login