Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Support Material in 1.0.0 release version

Posted by MotoBarsteward 
Support Material in 1.0.0 release version
March 31, 2014 05:55PM
Just playing with the latest version of slic3r built from the stable branch particularly support material generation as my dual head printer is almost complete. Is it correct that the support material appears to be with a double layer height of the object tht it is supporting? I did delete all ini files before slicing?

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
Re: Support Material in 1.0.0 release version
April 01, 2014 11:49PM
From the Slic3r website:

A well-known feature introduced by Slic3r is Microlayering (aka Infill every 'n' layers, aka Combine infill). With this option, a different layer height is used for infill and for perimeters: this way you can do, say, 0.1mm thick perimeters while still printing infill at 0.3mm. You save time while still getting high resolutions on the surfaces. Note that this is very different from the "Skin" option that was introduced in Skeinforge: that one just duplicated perimeters several times, so you'd still get the infill resolution even on the outside. A former microlayering concept and implementation was actually introduced by Adrian Bowyer, so this is not entirely new in Slic3r.
desc_stripped

So the answer is YES.
April 03, 2014 09:11AM
Yes, I know about this feature and use it regularly as me usual layer heigh is 0.15mm. I set up the infil to infil every othe rlayer. In the case I have now, I have not done this and I was expecting the support material layer heigh to be the same as that of the object. It is not. There is no way of controlling support layer heigh independantly of actual object layer heigh so either slic3r is chosing this or there is a bug. Just realised where the bug might be. My first layer is printed at double height. I also have a brim being printed. It uses the same layer height for the brim. Brim is printed witht he support material head. I am guessing that the support material is being printed at the same height as the brim. I'll set the first layer heigh to be the same as normal height and see if this fixes the problem.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
April 03, 2014 03:50PM
Not a bug, new feature.

The idea was why waste accuracy on support material, just double it up based on layer height and only print it every other layer. So foof you print at .15mm the support will be .30mm if possible (depending on nozzle size of course).
April 04, 2014 04:52PM
I understand what you are saying. Only problem comes when you have a gap between the top of the support layer and the underside of the thing you are supporting due to rounding error. Say, for example, your layer height is 0.15mm and your supported layer is at 0.45mm. You only have room to fit one layer of support in, 0.3mm, so you have a gap of 0.15mm between top of support and underside of supported layer. This will make the first layer of the supported part 0.15mm too low. I think we should either do the last layer of support at the layer height or provide an option to change the support material layer height.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login