Why doesn't my file slice properly?
April 05, 2014 09:38AM
I'm a gun/computer junkie and every since I built my printer I've wanted to print a gun. I've decided to go with a basic .22lr and for some reason I can't get the receiver to slice properly. All of the files are located here:

I couldn't attach just the receiver file because it's too big:

[forums.defcad.com]

In the download package there is an STL folder with all needed files and the receiver is the one that I just can't get to work for some reason. It was oriented incorrectly so I took it into Sketchup and rotated it to print flat and diagonal to fit my print bed. I then take it into Netfabb Basic and it still looks normal but with errors. I tell Netfabb to fix the errors and it does, so I export the STL and then use Slicer. Slicer seems to slice it properly, but when I open the gcode in Pronterface it looks like the attached picture.

This is driving me crazy, what am I doing wrong?
Attachments:
open | download - receiver.jpg (88.9 KB)
Re: Why doesn't my file slice properly?
April 05, 2014 09:54AM
I got to thinking maybe it was something that I've done so I just sliced the original file without taking it into any of the other programs mentioned and now it seems to look normal. Based on the image I've provided does anyone know possibly what went wrong?
April 05, 2014 10:47AM
Ok, so I guess it's Sketchup that's my problem (I realize this isn't a Sketchup forum). Like it is, the file is standing up and I need it flat and rotated corner to corner to fit my 8" bed. Sketchup is the only way I know of turning it sideways and rotating it. Any suggestions here? I've got 2 different versions of Sketchup (8 and 2014), both produce the same result.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2014 10:50AM by vetteguy112233.
April 05, 2014 12:15PM
Netfabb should be able to rotate it. If not you could download Replicator G which can move around the part and even lay it flat based on the vertices. You could also try Blender (in blender select the object and press "R" for rotate and then the letter of the axis you want to rotate "X", "Y" or "Z" and then type in the angle you want to rotate it ie. 90 or -35 or 128 etc. and then press enter).

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
April 05, 2014 05:26PM
Thanks for the help. I'll look into these other options/methods right now.
April 05, 2014 11:33PM
I forgot that I already had all of those programs. I gave Replicator a shot and it seems to be easy enough to rotate, but I can't figure out how to set everything up for my Makerfarm Prusa I3 8", ABS, .50mm hotend

Blender won't load my file at all for some reason.

I'll give Netfabb another shot, but I hate how it doesn't have real time rotation, you are limited to just clicking on the axis sections in the bottom left corner.

I really wish I could figure out why Sketchup is doing this, it's the program that I know and understand the best. Does anyone know of a Sketchup forum that also deals with 3d printing, so I can post these questions in the correct spot?
April 06, 2014 12:11AM
April 06, 2014 12:44AM
I guess I didn't have the python files installed that it wanted, so I did that and after hopefully picking the correct settings, we'll see how it slices. I figured I would give the gcode a try, just for fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 12:46AM by vetteguy112233.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login