Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to add support to parts of the print, but not others?

Posted by vetteguy112233 
How to add support to parts of the print, but not others?
April 10, 2014 10:46PM
I need to print a file that is a nightmare to clean the support material out of. Is there a way to add support to only certain parts of the print and not others?
Re: How to add support to parts of the print, but not others?
April 11, 2014 01:30PM
Use MeshMixer to generate your own custom support.
April 11, 2014 04:37PM
I sometimes draw my own support in CAD software.
April 12, 2014 09:43AM
I haven't had the time to test it yet, but version 1.1.0 has the option to use another object to define printing parameters of the actual printing part, I don't know if enabling or disabling bridges can be done that way.
April 29, 2014 09:04AM
vetteguy112233, can you share your model and describe where you wouldn't put support?
I'm going to release 1.1.2 soon which will carry a great reduction of useless support material thanks to a new algorithm.
Thanks for helping.
May 05, 2014 07:02PM
Here's one I'm trying to print and wasting a lot of time and plastic on. eye rolling smiley As you can see, the square holes don't need support, but there is a few obvious bits that can't do without. So... With support, the square holes are blocked and there is a terrible mess of cleaning to do around the little "shelves" and without support, there's a bit missing (can you guess what bit smiling smiley )?

I hope this is a good sample to help improvement and also hope someone can help with the selective support thing so I can get my quad fame printed.
Attachments:
open | download - frame_main.stl (141.8 KB)
May 06, 2014 03:31PM
B11TME, that is a perfect candidate for drawing your own support. If you can draw that frame you can draw the support. Just leave it 1-2 layers lower than the part and that way it will lightly attach and be removable. Sound is working on support that may be settable for where it is but not here yet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login