Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is the best way to slice/print this file?

Posted by vetteguy112233 
What is the best way to slice/print this file?
April 13, 2014 03:20PM
I printed this file once with supports and all of the holes that I need to put moving parts into were obviously filled with support material. This is a nightmare to clean out, so I'm wondering if I am complicating this process?

This is a .22lr gun that I've scaled to 80% to fit my print bed. It is recommended to print the receiver on it's side, but the receiver portion is much thicker than the handle, so in order to get it to print properly I figured I would need support material, am I wrong?

Here is the link to the files, because just the receiver is too large for me to attach to this thread:

[defcad.com]

Just click the blue "DIRECT" button on the right side and you'll get the zip file, in the zip file is a folder with STL files and the one in question is the "receiver handgun.stl" file

I'm trying to have this thing completely done, so I can shoot it next weekend at the family Easter gathering.
Re: What is the best way to slice/print this file?
April 13, 2014 06:18PM
I would ask for help over there, but registration is closed.
April 14, 2014 02:08PM
NOTE: I am not a gunsmith.

You will need to use support or a different type of printer that doesn't need to use support.

Printing it at 80% will require you to print all the parts at 80%, but then a 22lr won't fit.

You could split the stock from the receiver, and print them seperately.
April 15, 2014 02:49PM
I didn't think about splitting the stock, that's a good idea. Is there an easy way to split it perfectly down the center?

I know if I scale 80% on 1 item, that all the rest will need it (which I've done). As for the bullet not fitting, I've already thought of that. I'm using a .22 barrel sleeve to go down the center of the plastic barrel. This should make the gun much stronger. The barrel size is much thicker than needed, so with all this extra material, I can safely drill out the correct size hole to slip in the barrel sleeve.
April 15, 2014 08:27PM
I forgot that the free version of Netfabb will split a file in half. So many people think that it will not because when you click the "free cut" option it tells you it's only available in the free version, but if you load the file on look at the right side of the screen, there are slider bars that when dragged, create a line to cut with. Once you have the line where you want, just click "execute cut" then export the file.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login