Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chainmail bracelet starts with dots

Posted by cobrageek 
Chainmail bracelet starts with dots
August 22, 2014 11:59PM
[www.thingiverse.com]
I'm using 1.1.6 slic3r to slice this design and the first layer starts with single dots in some places and then goes back to fill in more of the first layer. This makes it cry difficult to get it to stick and print properly. Any suggestions for settings that would fix the dots? I've tried the option to prevent crossing perimeters in hopes it would help, but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Chainmail bracelet starts with dots
August 23, 2014 04:41PM
This thing has many errors (typical of Thingiverse these days). Download Netfabb Basic (free) and it can fix it.
August 24, 2014 12:56AM
I noticed that the stl file was broken so I generated a new one from the scad file. But maybe using net fab on the original stl will produce something better. I'll see if that one is any better. Thanks.
August 24, 2014 06:23PM
Well, netfabb seemed to fix the dots problem, but I'm still struggling to get the little lines to stick to the print bed. there are so many little segments and they seem to just barely curl up on the ends sometimes depending on the next direction that the head moves. Then the next time the head moves by it peels them up and it all goes bad from there. I'm using glue on heated glass at this point but I'll try blue tape too. Maybe I should increase the retraction on the extruder or tweak some speed setting or something. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.
August 26, 2014 11:49PM
too little information to help. You don't say what speed, material, hotend temp, heated bed temp...... Need info to give info.
August 27, 2014 10:34AM
Sorry, let me try to fill in some details: PLA, 200 hot end temp, 65 bed temp (70 for first layer). It's a glass (mirror) plate with watered down glue (also tried blue painters tape with similar results). 0.4mm nozzle with 1.75mm filament. 0.3mm layer height (0.35mm first layer height, but it pushes more material (200% first layer extrusion) and flattens out pretty well on the first layer). Speed: 30mm/s first layer, 30mm/s for perimeters with 70% of that on external perimeters. Infill is at 60mm/s, solid infill=50mm/s and top solid infil at 70% of that. Travel speed is 130mm/s. Retraction: 1mm (default), Z lift is 0, speed is 30mm/s, 0 extra on restart and minimum travel after restart of 2mm. "wipe while retracting" is off (maybe this would help?)

I've been wondering if it's related to the retraction settings and a little "drool" after it's supposed to stop extruding. On other prints I've played with a retraction of 3mm and it didn't seem to make much difference to the "drool" that I was getting on that. Maybe the "wipe while retracting" setting would help? (I'm not sure where it moves with this so it's hard to say).

Any other ideas? I can try running the tip cooler, but when I go down to 190 surfaces look poor because the extrusion is not smooth (even). Let me know if you want me to list any other settings. Thanks for any suggestions. -Bret
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login