Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

slic3r

Posted by JasperCocquyt 
slic3r
September 11, 2014 01:03PM
Hello, It's the first time i use this software and it's the first time i will make a 3D print. I uploaded a file an started slicing but from the point where the status bar (green bar) is almost ending it won't do enything anymore. I don't know if this just takes a lot of time to export the G-code? at least that's what's it's telling me it's doing but it has been like this for an hour now.

So is this normal? of do i have to do anything?
Thanks!

With kindly greets
Jasper Cocquyt
Re: slic3r
September 11, 2014 05:19PM
It can be very slow at that point, depending on the size (complexity) of the STL file and the power of your computer. It's been a few hours since you posted this - did it manage to complete slicing?

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
September 12, 2014 05:05PM
No my computer battery was out and i forgot to put the charge in --' but now that i have tried it again i have seen that it gives a red error where it's saying that it can't find the place (file) for exporting the G-codes witch i find very weird? could this be something about administration or something?
September 12, 2014 06:58PM
Sounds like the directory it's expecting to save the g code file to doesn't exist. Make sure you choose a directory when the export window opens.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
September 14, 2014 08:09AM
It doesn't open a window with me. It just gives that red error (that dissapears directly) and then its doesn't do anything anymore. So but you say i have to make sure i have to let it export to a file that exist's?
September 14, 2014 09:00AM
Not a file, a directory. Can you post the exact text of the error message, word-for-word, or a screenshot? I can look through the source code for it and find out why it's happening.

September 14, 2014 03:02PM
no i'm sorry it dissapears after a few seconds :/ but i have now drawed a very smalle cube (200mmX200mmX200mm) in solid edge and i brought it in and then i sleced it and it did it with no problems and it did not give any error. but if i brng an STL file in from the internet (http://www.thingiverse.com/). and that doesn't work? it doesn't want to export the gcode. so is it possible it only work with drawings created on my own laptop? i haven't tried drawing a bigger structure in 3D and bring it in but i'll try that soon. because the 3D printer is a schoolproject i'm doing with a classmate. were busy building the printer in school and so i cant test printing yet but i'm trying out the software at home.
September 14, 2014 03:07PM
This is what i get and it just stays like this. the progress doesn't move anymore?
Attachments:
open | download - Knipsel.PNG (119.3 KB)
September 14, 2014 06:06PM
See the directory at the bottom of the log, where it says "Exporting G-code"? Check to see if it exists. The file "composition.gcode" should not exist, but check for that as well, in the directory shown.

RepetierHost is running Slic3r and telling it where to save the gcode. If the directory it tells Slic3r to save the gcode to doesn't exist or you don't have the right privileges to write to it, then the gcode won't get saved.

You can set this directory in the preferences of RepetierHost. Click on the Config menu item, then Preferences. Look for the Workingdirectory setting in Basic Settings. Click on the Browse button to choose an existing directory. You must be able to write files to the directory you give, so you can't choose the AppData directory from someone else's user profile, or any of the system directories.

September 15, 2014 12:47PM
OK thank you very much for your help!! i will try this and leet you know if it worked! Tkanhs a lot!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login